I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding the spine and guide placement
Posted by: Rob Whitney (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:16PM

I am hoping to get some guidance on what side of the spine to place my guides. I read you can place on either side as long as there all the same side. I also read one side will give you better casting and less power fighting a fish and the exact opposite for the other side. Is there any truth to this? If so what side of the spine do I put the guides on to get the most casting power and a little less fighting a fish?

Also I can set the blank across smooth rod at each end and it will always roll to the same spot (heave side down) is this an accurate way of finding the spine? Can any one give me some insight or direction?

Thank You
Rob Whitney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding the spine and guide placement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:01PM

Make sure you read the FAQS page on finding the spine. The rolling method you describe will not find the spine, only the natural conclave warp of the blank.

The spine will make little difference in casting accuracy and cannot prevent rod twist. If you want more power, buy a more powerful blank. If you want less power, buy a less powerful blank. The difference between the stiffest and softest axis (and these are rarely 180 degrees apart) is very slight. Not enough to really make any real difference out on the water.

Go ahead and find the spine, but be aware that there is no wrong nor right place to orient it and it won't make much difference either way.

Re: Finding the spine and guide placement
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 13, 2006 11:23AM

Lots of comments here at RBO Forum Archives under "Spine" or "Spline" or "Orientation" etc. Try a SEARCH after you read TK's article on Spines in the FAQs Page.

One other recent Post & Replies was [www.rodbuilding.org]
Reading that should help solidify your knowledge and help explain, as Tom said, why usually the spine makes little to no difference in rod performnce under actual fishing conditions. Other forces are often stronger than the spine's effect. -Cliff Hall+++

effective spline guide placement ... Joe Baylog ... March 4, 2006
[www.rodbuilding.org] Read the whole Thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster