I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much bending required for static stress test on 10'6 steelhead baitcasting blank ???
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:15PM

Hello folks,

I am building up currently a rod where I asked for the number of guides if I' am on the right path:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Now I' am not sure how far I should bend the rod for a proper distribution of the rings. It is a 10'6 IST1264F batson steelhead rod which I will use for wading in the shore of our Baltic Sea.

So what is the right angle the blank should have for proper determination?

Your comments please, as always.

RGDS,
Ole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much bending required for static stress test on 10'6 steelhead baitcasting blank ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.180.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:38PM

Check this out, it should help [www.rodbuilding.org]

Re: How much bending required for static stress test on 10'6 steelhead baitcasting blank ???
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 11:29PM

For what it's worth, I notice your recent posts and think you are doing exactly what I did about a year ago. I picked up a 1264 steelhead blank and built it for light saltwater use. My approach was a little different in that I started with a BMNAG20 and went down to BLAG8s. I did this for two reasons - the size 20 to promote casting with an ABU 6500 size real and the 8s to give me enough height off the blank to not use too many guides. I ended up with 9 total - BMNAG 20, 16, 12, BLAG10, 8 (x5) and a tip. I also did a split grip - EVA with 18" from butt to back of seat. If I had it to do over I would use probably one or two more guides and get my butt guide farther down to make sure more of the butt is in the fight. I might also make the grip a bit shorter - say 14" to 16" - given that I don't need a lot of leverage to throw the weight I do with this rod. Having said that, I love the rod. It is light enough to use all day, will handle up to 2oz on a reasonable cast and absolutely rocket around 1oz. I landed about a 30" ray at the beach last summer and had no trouble at all.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.5.241.---)
Date: March 11, 2006 05:39AM

How much to bend any rod for that matter? I try to static test with a reel similar to what will be used on the rod with drag pressures at or just above the real world levels. I then like to bend the rod until I peel drag. This 'should' closely represent what a true fishing situation will offer.

Jay

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 01:15PM

Bending graphite rods beyond a 90 degree angle (using the butt and the tip as the two points for the 90 degrees) is inviting trouble in my book, so that's where I stop flexing them at when static testing.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster