I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Show Advertising
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:18AM

Going along with what I posted earlier about the need to use the print media in order to draw the most rod builders to an event, I have now contracted with the following to run color advertising for the 2007 event in Charlotte.

Saltwater Sportsman
BassMaster
American Angler
Tide

The advertisements are quite striking and will begin running in October. This is a very expensive undertaking with such ads costing well over $1,500 each, per appearance. But the show is doing so well that we can afford to do this and it should result in an even greater attendance next year.

I never thought we'd be looking at an an event like this and aiming for 2,000 rod builders to show up, but that will be our goal for 2007. I expect to meet it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Show Advertising
Posted by: Fran Park (---.c21hecht.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 01:57PM

Tom, that's great! Now, what will you need to do in terms of allocated space to accommodate the additional 600-700 builders? On Saturday morning, you could barely get down the aisle this year. Great problem to have, I think.

Andy Dear, you will need an express lane next year, ten blanks or less, cash or check only, bag your own purchases.

Fran Park

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:48PM

Tom will you be looking to add venders as the builders increase?

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 02:19AM

Tom,

What's the chances of making this a 3 or 4 day event? It sounds like its getting just to big for a Sat. and Sun. I think it would also draw even more people.

Rich Matranga
Folsom,California

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2006 09:58AM

There are a lot of things that work against a rod building event on this size and scale. Money and attendees being two of them. Holding the show for more days increases my cost in booking the hall (figure as much as $5,000 to $6,000 per day). Then you've got to rely on builders coming in from all over the country - you can't do a show like this with just the builders in the local or regional area. And that means advertising, lots of it. And not just constant blurbs on the internet. You won't reach more than about 10% of the hoped for market that way.

So we've got to be careful in expanding too much. I want the show to be a better value this year, for everybody. The work I've done so far has paid off. I can reduce the admission price by about 20%.. I can reduce the booth fees by about 20%. But I won't add more retail vendors until I'm convinced we can continue to increase the overall attendance. These vendors have to make money. They're all doing that so far, and each year has seen a decent sales increase. But I have to be cautious here - add one too many and suddenly the show isn't profitable enough for any of them. For 2007, I'll probably add just one additional retail sales vendor. Don't worry, there's plenty of "stuff" for you to see. (And most dealers report that their presence in Charlotte has resulted in many new customers who are still buying from them a year or more later - residual sales after the show eventually outstrip the sales made on the show floor.

Manufacturers are another story. I'll add all that want to come on board. We have vendors there selling most all the major brands. More blank and specialty rod building component vendors need to be taking advantage of this event, in order to help their vendors there are the show. I often hear manufacturers say that they can't make any money at these things because they don't sell to the public. That's not the proper way to look at these things - the vendors there are selling the manufacturers' products. The manufacturers do indeed sell at these shows - in the increased sales their dealers see as a result of the manufacturer being on hand to demo and display their products.

At any rate, I'm in the middle of negotiations on several things. It would be helpful to know just how important a onsite hotel is for many of you guys. I know most of you come in from a ways off, but don't really have a handle on how many drive and how many fly in. If you have a car, then driving from a hotel to the show site, (a couple miles) isn't a big deal. But if you fly, then I worry about folks having to spend money to rent a car. Maybe this is a big deal, maybe it isn't. I just try to look at things from the perspective of the attendees. If you have comments on this, please email them to me directly at rodmaker@earthlink.net.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 05:17AM

Tom,

I see where you are coming from, but for people living on the West Coast, like myself, a 3 day show would be more appealing than a 2 day show. I would also think those who drive 8 to 10 hours or more would also feel the same way. Just something to think about..

Don't get me wrong, I'm coming either way. And since I prefer to travel with my wife, she is coming too! However, I had to promise my wife I would take her on a Caribbean cruise right after the show. So see, a 2 day show, 10 day cruise and I have justified the trip. Of coarse if its a 3 day show, I would spend more money at the show and only take her on a 5 day cruise!

Food for thought,

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster