I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tips for a beginner
Posted by: doug bison (---.mn.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 04:30PM

I've built 3 rods now with rudimentariy home made gear (wood wrapper with coffee cup thread holder, Lonely Planet South America travel book as a weight for thread tension etc...) One for me, one for my old man, and most recently for my son- he's 1 and a half years old and will start fishing soon.
Without tooting my own horn too much they have all turned out really good, all my fishing buds have given me compliments...blah blah blah..
The wraps are tight, the guides are straight, the finish could be a bit smoother ( I have just ordered a rod wrapper and also a dryer)
I feel like I have the basics down and with proper equipment could make some really impressive rods.
I'd like to get a bit more fancy with the guide wraps and butt wraps, diamond designs, some marbeling with the finish maybe.
Any tips on wrapping techniques.
I've spent several hours at this sight admiring the photos and want to get busy myself.
I'd appreciate any ideas- books, websites whatever.
Thanks,
Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tips for a beginner
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 04:36PM

Hi Doug,

Without a doubt, I would pick up a copy of Rodbuilding guide by Tom Kirkman from a sponsor on the left (best $15 you will spend on this addiction) A subscription to Rodmaker would be my first priority, nothing like it!! Then I would start saving now (I already have) to make the annual pilgrimage to Charlotte in Feb for the "International Rodbuilding Symposium"

Keep asking questions here and scour the Library, FAQ's, Glossary and Photo page above.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 08, 2006 04:41PM

Wow- words of wisdom only 6 minutes later! I think I have found a new favorite website! You are right- an addiction indeed!! Thanks Mike.
Doug

Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 05:00PM

all the above is gospel,i would add a copy of custom rod thread art by clemens to my arsenal,

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 05:57PM

Flex-Coat offers a couple of cross-wrap booklets with some patterns. Great for begginers! Easy to understand
a few bucks each and you can get them from several sponsors on the
left.
I recommend @#$%&, Neals Fishing, & Fish Stiks 4-U

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 06:02PM

Rodbuilding guide and RodMaker Magazine are must have's for the beginner. As for Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens, It's great to have but hard to find and EXPENSIVE because it's out of print.. Paruse @#$%& (sorry Tom) sometimes you can pick up a used one fairly cheaply. Excellent replacements would be the pamphlets from Billy Vivona and Flex Coat. This coming from a fairly new RodBuilder myself. Mikes statement about Charlotte is beyond truth, it's the absolute epidomy of RodBuilding knowledge and availability of blanks and coponents.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 07:20PM

Doug,

I forgot! Here are some pretty good instructions for several of the basic decorative cross wraps. [www.leapinbass.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 10:28PM

You should also try to get Billy Vivona's booklet on decorative buttwraps too.
It is in color and easy to follow.

Also, try to find a rod builder close by that you can visit (like I was fortunate enough to do).
Seeing it done does not compare to only seeing it on paper, and it will make you say "AHHH, now I understand!"

Date: March 09, 2006 12:02PM

Thanks to all of you for your ideas. This new "addiction" is keeping me awake at night!!
If I'm not careful I may end up divorced, sleep deprived with a house full of custom made rods!!!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:05PM

Welcome to the addiction / obsession!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster