I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Public Libraries
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2006 10:00PM

Those of you who have public libraries in your community, if you could, please look up the physical address and name of contact person for accepting book donations. All this usually takes is a simple phone call or email to your local library.

I'll go into the details later, but between some things I've been working on and another recent offer we're looking at putting another 100 to 150 rod building books in public and high school libraries across the U.S. Most likely it will be Boyd Pfeiffer's book due to the fact that it has not only rod building information, but other sorts of tackle making details as well. The main thing is to make rod building information more readily available to the public. In particular, the kids.

I'll have more information and a complete website detailing the program in a few weeks. In the meantime, if you think your public or high school library would like to have a rod building book for lending purposes, please forward their address and contact information to me via this email - rodmaker@earthlink.net.

More specifics in a few weeks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Public Libraries
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:02PM

You are too COOL Mr. Kirkman...........What a good thought and with all you have to do you seem to keep adding more self imposed task. I will forward information to you from this area.
Thanks for your hard work,

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:08PM

He put one in our public library a couple years ago. I've kept watch on it the few times I've been in and it seems to be out quite a bit. Somebody is putting it to good use. Just think if we got a rod building book in every public library across the country. How many kids would learn to build rods and grow up with rod building as a hobby? It would probably keep a great many of them out of trouble. This was a good program when it started and it is still a good program. Very worthwhile.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 02:15AM

Roger that William!

I have a library a couple of blocks from my house and the info will
be sent tomorrow!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:43AM

As I have time to complete the website, I plan to put up a list of all the libraries that have books provided by RodMaker, and then we'll also have a page of donors to the program, which by the way, is nearly 5 years old now.

I am confident that this program has created more new rod builders than anything else that's been done or is being done. Everything helps, of course, but this is something that is out there every day, all over the Country, available to anyone at no charge. I've talked to a few of the librarians who have taken part in the program, and they tell me that these rod building books are quite popular with their patrons.

Posted by: Tim Hough (170.235.208.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:49AM

As an English teacher I applaud anyone who wants to give books to libraries, especially when they have nothing to gain personally by doing so. In my neck of the woods, all county libraries are linked via a lending web site. Each libraries entire collection is available for reserve and are sent to the pick up site of your choice...all for free! What a country! My list of high school libraries will be especially long. Thank you Mr. Kirkman for spreading knowledge & "sharing the wealth." There is surely a place for you in fishing heaven.

Tim Hough

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:54AM

Greetings Tom,

These addresses are of the larger public libraries on Marthas Vineyard:

Edgartown Free Public Library
58 North Water Street
Edgartown, MA 02568
Phone: 508-627-4221
Website:edpublib.vineyard.net For Renewals, Reference, and Staff
please Call 508-627-1373

Oak Bluffs Public Library
56R School St., P.O. Box 2039
Oak Bluffs, MA 02557
Phone: 508-693-9433

Vineyard Haven Public Library
Main Street
Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
Phone: 508-696-4211

These are 'all' linked with a regional system throughout CapeCod and the Islands; its called CLAMS and its web address is [www.clamsnet.org]

I believe that by the wonders of the net one can draw books and all from numerous public libraries in Mass and nearby states. Internet is the 'binder'

Wise idea , Tom.

Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 12:05PM

Robert,
You might want to e-mail the info directly to Tom as he requested in his post!!!! That way it's certain to reach him timely

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2006 12:06PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 02:08PM

Tom,

I'll get you info on the libraries in my area.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster