I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alot of questions alot of projects
Posted by: jason henderson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:54AM

I have a lot of questions about a few projects I am working on. I hope I don't go overboard with the questions I am just hoping for the best possible outcome.

1 I had 2 match style guides break at the base of the foot on different guides from a single factory rod. The company has been great (STCroix) about replacing the guides but I am wondering if in the future would I be better off with either a standard size spinning guide for strength or is there a different style high frame guide that is stronger. I think they are pac bay match style with both leggs meeting at the foot, would the fuji concept with the "Y" frame be stronger. Also are they as high profile as the match style guides?

2 I wrote about a casting style steelhead rod that I chose to remove the guides on and the are under the guides looks terrible. I was told to try the U40 perma gloss to coat the blank after a light buffing with scotch brite. I have the but section buffed. Has anyone done this? Should I perma gloss it horizontal to reduce running or should I do it verticle to reduce sagging? Also will this finish coat crack in cold or under load?

3 I just recieved the spey kit I am going to build and have only worked on the handle so far. I am plannign on doing a thin highlight or decorative wrap outside the main wrap on the guides and hookkeeper. Do I do this first from the outside then over the main thread tag end wtith the thin wraps or do I do this last?

4 I looking at a future project, where I counter bore a spinning forgrip with my dremmel to recieve all of the front lock on an uplocking reel seat. The reason being that in cold weather I don't split my fingers around a spinning reel foot I usually hold in front and I see that I hardly get the front forgrip in my hand I am holding colder metal parts alot of the time. Would this cork be prone to breaking? Should I glue it to the seat or leave an expansion gap for flex? Has anyone done this? I have and old unused handle that I might practice on. What do you guys think would it be too fragile?

Again I realize that I have a lot of questions but I have 3 projects in the works right now, and a possible near future none

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alot of questions alot of projects
Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: March 07, 2006 02:28PM

Can't help on the first issue of match guides. The only ones I'm familar with are Forecast and they wont break unless you stand on them!

If you have the steelhead rod stripped, apply the permagloss with a foam brush. Cut a small a V in the top of the brush, load with PG and run it down the blank once. Let dry and repeat. I generally cut a piece of the foam from a large brush and just wad it around the blank and run it up or down. PG is good stuff, and it shouldn't crack or peel if you've prepped properly. Thin coats work best.

Not sure what you mean with the thread question.

There are several good reel seats on the market that have the locking hood already covered with cork, you just screw it over the reel foot as usual. I know Fuji makes one.

Re: alot of questions alot of projects
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2006 09:22PM

When guides break in that situation, you can almost guarantee that they've been bent back and forth. I'd switch styles or try handling the rod more carefully. It's also possible that they were damaged before you bought the rod. You don't know what type handling they received in shipping or the store.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster