I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster and marbling
Posted by: Ben Lennon (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 04:25PM

Has anybody tried marbling with threadmaster finish? Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster and marbling
Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 04:42PM

Yes... I just did a marblizing job with Threadmaster. I was very pleased with how well it worked!

Because it is thicker than LS Supreme (what I usually use) it marbles better in my opinion. The swirls will stay put much better and not bleed into the other colors.

With LS Supreme, I used to have to wait for the finish to thicken up a bit in order to get good definition and prevent bleeding.

Have at it...

Erik

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 04:54PM

I just finished a 6" marble with TM and got the same results that Eric did. It is definately now my finish of choice

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas32.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:45PM

Just ask Putter, he will marble any thing LOL

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 12:39PM

I had a conversation with Putter at the show in Charlotte about marbling with different finishes. At that point in time, Putter hadn't tried Thread Master for marbling. I've been using LS Supreme and had the same experience as Mike and Erik. What Putter and I had talked about was the possible effects that may be possible with differing flow rates by blending different epoxies. In other words if you wanted your contrasting colors well mixed, you may want to use TM as your base color because of different viscosity and then apply LS Supreme for the contrasting colors because it's thinner, at least when it's first mixed - or you could do the opposite.

I haven't had the time since Charlotte to do any experimentation but someone else here may want to give it a try. If Putter has I'm sure he'll chime in.

I picked up some Thread Master from Andy at the show and used it for the first time over the weekend. I can tell you that my initial response is that this is an excellent product and I'm very impressed with it. I'll probably need to work with it a little more to get as comfortable with it as LS Supreme but it gave me a very clear, level finish and I had no trouble with bubbles at all.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 02:21PM

Sam... good point about using epoxies with different viscosities to achieve different marblized appearances. There's lots that you could do to mix it up there.

My last marblizing job I simply used solid color thread wrap as the base color, applied a coat of finish to seal the threads, then did a layer of marblzed finish on top of that, and a third clear coat of finish over that. Worked great. I like the effects that you can achieve by marbling colors into a clear coat of finish over a darker background color. It gives a bit of a 3D quality to it.

Also, using thread as the background color gets you out of having to mix pigments in order to get the color you're looking for if the color is available in thread. The trim wraps will match the marblized background color perfectly.

I've also done this with where I did a first layer of marblizing and added a second layer of mablizing into clear epoxy to give it some depth and more definition. Worked great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster