I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic trim wraps and CP
Posted by: Jim Tester (---.dsl.zianet.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 10:06AM

I'm new to rodbuilding, and have been following the posts about using metallic thread without CP. I tried using Gudebrod HT copper as a trim without CP. When I applied the finish, I could see the tag end of the copper under the nylon wrap when it became translucent. How can I avoid this problem?

I am anxious to build a prettier rod, my first efforts are functional, but somewhat amateurish. Thanks in advance for any info, and especially for such a great website.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic trim wraps and CP
Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 10:19AM

You need to use CP when using the nylon thread, otherwise the nylon thread will be translucent as was the case with your wrap. CP will not effect the metallic thread.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 11:59AM

Like Sean said! You can also use metallic for the main guide wrap also!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas24.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 02:03PM

Try putting the ends of your trim wrap under the rod as it is fished, You will still see them, but on as you fish the rod.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 03:51PM

Jim,

Like Bill said, put your tag ends near the foot of the guide on spinning rods and spiral wrapped casting rods, and on the opposite side of the guide on a conventional casting rod. This makes it so the meatallic ends are always on the down side of the rod, away from your sight.

You can also try cutting your tags off, before wrapping your nylon thread. I've done this, by:

Not the best choice, because they can come undone easily:

1. Pulling the trim wraps tight (as few as two wraps), and trimming the tags, then wrapping your nylon.

Or, more better

2. (After you position the trim wraps exactly where you want them, in reference to the guide foot) By putting CP on the trim wraps alone, letting it dry, cutting the ends off with a scalpel or razor, and then wrapping the nylon thread on and finishing. Make sure you extend the finish over the trim wrap onto the blank, if using acrylic CP, to prevent moisture from getting to the wrap.

Good luck! :)

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2006 03:52PM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: Jim Tester (---.dsl.zianet.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 06:13PM

Thanks for all the good info. While my questions are general in nature, my specific project is a Powell LGA 9' 4 wt fly rod. I was reading a post concerning "thread for Sage XP" where many posters suggested nylon thread with a metallic trim. I tried it on the butt of this rod as an experiment, and could see the little tag ends of the metallic thread. I'm guessing that your ideas and others will help make this rod nicer looking when I am done.

Thanks

Jim

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 06:15PM

Do the trim band by itself. TEhre are instructions, I think in teh Library on this site. Anil knot style, something along those lines.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:29PM

What`s a "Anil Knot".Dont you mean "anal".

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas32.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 10:11PM

If you want the thread to look as it comes off the spool then put a coat of CP on first. Then you should not see the tag ends of any trim wraps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 06, 2006 08:26AM

Nail Knot. My bad. Fingers only work with thread, not with keys.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 11:52AM

This is one of the reasons that I switched to the nail knot technique. The choice or not of CP for the main wrap is not impacted by the trim band(s), either using metallic or different color nylon. For example, I think it works really well for adding a metallic trim band then a small trim band outside of the metallic in the same thread as the main wrap. On occasion I have wrapped the main wrap and applied my first thin coat of finish to turn it dark and translucent. Then added the metallic wraps with the nylon mainwrap thread outside of the metallic. Then finished the total wrap with finish. This looks like the metallic band is an inlay. Or, if you want the thread to be CPed you can wrap all three wraps (main and 2 nail knot bands) and apply CP as normal on all three wraps and keep the thread color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster