I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cod/Haddock Jig rod (Bumper style)
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:52AM

Has anyone built a bumper style rod specifically for Cod/Haddock Jigging? I am thinking of building one as my prelude into this spiral wrap arena.

If you did, what guides did you use?

Any other ideosynchronies (sp) associated with this?.

thanks

ernie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cod/Haddock Jig rod (Bumper style)
Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 10:26AM

I do alot of cod and haddock fishing, and have built several cod rods, but none have been spiral wrapped. I have considered it, just have not done it yet. I would use HNSG, BHNNG, or BHNLG guides, whatever your preference. Stripper guide size 20, a size 10 or 12 for the bumper, which ever size keeps the line off the blank, and then all size 12's on the bottom, 180 axis. Hope this helps.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 11:49AM

Hi Sean:

Sorta of what I was thinking. I have noticed while Cod Fishing (especially on a big one) that the rod does twist on the initial head shake and dive to the bottom. I don't seem to feel the twist so much on Stand up..(but maybe my adrenaline (sp) is up).

What blanks are you using for your cod fishing?

thanks

Ernie

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2006 11:53AM

A spiral wrap is a natural for a cod rod. In fact, you'll notice the benefits of a spiral on such rod much moreso than on other type rods. I can't image fishing ever again fishing such a rod that has the guides on top.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 12:32PM

Ernie,

I also have noticed the torque of the rod while fishing for cod. I personally have three different blanks that I have built and use for cod. My favorite is a Lamiglas CGBT 96H. Next would be the Calstar GF900M, which I have trimmed down, and then I have a Seeker CSB909, also trimmed down. The Seeker I am re-wrapping at this very moment. I think I will go ahead and wrap the guides on spiral, and see how it works out.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 02:12PM

I've seen two composition type blanks delaminate probablly/partially due to the severe twisting going on with a non spiral wrapped rod. The twisting has to be ugly.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas24.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 02:15PM

Just for the ease of holding the rod and not fighting it too keep it upright is worth it.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 05:07PM

I've spiral wrapped couple of cod / haddock rods for customers on the east coast. The Fuji SiNII guides have been very well recieved. Starting with a size 20 stripper guide to accomodate the large sweep of the big reels used, and going down to size 10's for the 180-degree guides.

Here's a photo of a Calstar 765M that I built as a heavy cod jiggin rod last year... got great feedback from the customer that it performed very well under some very hard use and was comfortable to use all day long for up to 8 or 9 hours. He says he gets lots of strange looks with that rod, which makes me think that there aren't all that many guys using acid wrapped rods out there. He just tells them that the rod builder was dyslexic and he got a deal because the guides were crooked. Some folks actually buy that (which is somewhat disturbing).

[www.kzreelrods.com]

I'm building a lighter rod for the same customer right now for haddock bait fishing on a Lamiglas CGBT841MH with the same basic component setup but will probably go to size 8's in the tip section.

Erik

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2006 01:34PM

If I was in looking for a good Cod Jigging Rod I'd want to compare the Super Seeker rods and blanks with some of the others suggested above. They might be the real deal. Worth checking out.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster