I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Leaving the butt corkless?
Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 03:15PM

Greetings one and all,
I am building when I should be out fishing on this nice day (ok I was out for three hours this morning) - however I just had an epiphany... and perhaps I am heading off the deep end - but is there really a reason to add a cork plug to close the final cork in the handle...? I realize water could enter - however - I am not sure that is a problem - or would cause future problems... so is this mostly cosmetic? OR would H2O penetrate the interior surface of the blank? Always looking for ways to shave additional weight! Thanks for all of your comments! Chuck Ungs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Leaving the butt corkless?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 03:35PM

No pro here, but a couple thoughts:

1. The butt cap protext the end of the blanks. Pressure on corners (blanks included) is a lot more pressure per unit area - and likely to crack. Were you thinking of wrapping it with thread to reinforce or just leaving uncapped?
2. More comfortable when resting against one's tummy or hand when trying to leverage a fish.
3. One actually want some weight onthe butt to balance the front heavy blank. This is assuming casting or spinning rods. WIth fly, probably no effect.

Mo

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 04:17PM

I should have clarified - I have a rubberized cork ring already rod bonded in place on the end of the blank - with two cork rings epoxied to the top of it on the blank and have the unit shaped like a fighting butt on this split handle design. The center of these three rings were bored large enough to slide down over the blank - and the blank is visible inside that end ring about 1/4" up from the flat end of the butt cork.

My question really pertains to the hole in the center of the end ring... I certainly have a cork that would fit into the hole - but for verticle jigging lightweight is paramount, and it already balances fine - the cork obviously will not make a significant difference either way I guess - just fishing to see if anyone out there ever just leaves the bore open... and am just curious about your opinions on if there is a reason to close it other than for cosmetics? Chuck

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.133.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: March 04, 2006 05:46PM

Chuck

I don't think water in the blank will cause you trouble, but water isn't the only thing that can get into the rod. A small rock or even a stick could cause you a world of trouble if it gets into the blank. You could end up with a broken rod for a very small difference in weight.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Glen Pare (---.lyncva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 08:35PM

Chuck,

The only potential problem I can see is if you leave your rods in the boat in the winter. Here in VA it does get down below freezing. If some water got in there while sitting and then froze it would probably split the blank. I would plug it with something just to be safe.

You might ask how this could happen. A couple of years ago before I got a carport for my bass boat and my bass tracker I forgot to pull the plug on the tracker when I got back from a very cold and wet November fishing trip. I went ahead and covered the tracker like I had good sense and when I uncovered it in the spring. It was half full of water. Everything was sitting in water and soaked, rods, reels, and tackle. What a mess. But a tough lesson learned. The tackle took the biggest beating. The rods and reels were fine however after a thourough cleaning. Fortunately, I did not have any open ends on my rods. I would have been very upset if some of the hand made rods didn't make it.

Don't know if anything like this could happen to you but it was a surprise to me.

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.88.---)
Date: March 05, 2006 01:31AM

Chuck...

how could you leave your butt exposed?

yer supposed to put something UP THAR!

like a token or good luck charm....

think about it...

tws

[www.theworriedshrimp.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:25AM

The attached picture is one real good reason to rig a rod where the hole is left in the end of the butt.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

My NASCAR customer, Jeff Gordon Fan, wanted to fish six days a week and race on Sunday! Removable butt plug to expose tailpipe and wheels when racing!

Best of both worlds!

Fsh No Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster