I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster: Final Consistancy?
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 11:53AM

Curious to learn what the cured product's consistancy is: soft and flexible, or hard and brittle, like most of the cheap, offshore rods are treated with.
One needs to wear safety glasses when removing threadwork on the handiwork of our pacific rim cousins..where several USA concerns moved their assembly to....
To do a repeat: is there a Canadian rep on the horizon, or do we need to jump through the import hoops.
Thanks in advance. KD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster: Final Consistancy?
Date: March 03, 2006 12:02PM

I found the web page. I read the blurb. It's purported to be really flexible. This is good.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.vascular.medtronic.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:21PM

I would not call it brittle. I would say that it seems to set up a little harder and stiffer than LS Supreme but still shows good flexibility. This just what I notice by playing with the cured films that are left over on my foil the next day after I finish a rod. I've also removed a guide that I had finished with Threadmaster and the finish removed just fine, much the same as most other good epoxies like LS Supreme or Flex Coat.

Erik

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:47PM

Hi Ken,
You will find the consistancy to be the same as Flex Coat. I have used it so far on two offshore rods, one light inshore rod (popping) and four fly rods. I have not had a single problem with Threadmaster. I do use color preserver on all of my wraps regardless of the thread I am using. I put a light coat of Threadmaster then after 5 or 6 hours I put on a second coat. One of the reasons that I like the product is that the pot life is enough to do a full rod but after an hour or so it really starts to set fast. I read some discussions about problems and cost of the product yesterday. In my area Flex Coat sells for one dollar less in the 8 oz. kit than Threadmaster but to me that is negligible. There was also mentions about problems with bubbles. As you probably know, you are going to get bubbles with any epoxy if put on too thick. And then there was the question about tackiness. I have been using pumps on my bottles of Threadmaster since it came out. I mix portions in a one cc to one cc mix without problems. It seems to me that the product is very forgiving when well mixed. So far no complaints and I very happy with the results I am getting. Highly recommend it.

Date: March 03, 2006 01:02PM

Thanks to all for the input....Based on lack of a Canadian dealer (or none I know of), when all the adds are figured in, Threadmaster would work out to about 11 cents (USD) per mixed CC of threadmaster. (13 cents a CC, CAD, based on an 8 ounce kit/227CC for 30 CAD)
I normally use 10 CC's per rod, on average. Wow....a whole 1.10/1.30 for what amounts to the eye candy for the ife of the rod !!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 01:56PM

Ken where in Canada do you live? In most cases the warmer the application of a finish, the better the finish. It doesn’t hurt to use a bubble buster either even if you do not see bubbles. Air sometimes gets trapped underneath the thread and well appear later during the cure time. As for eye protection I damaged my left eye when I failed to use eye protection when cutting a rod
Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 03, 2006 02:59PM

Hi, Bob. Smithers, BC, approx 1000 road miles north of Seattle. Less as the crow flies. I use all the usual tricks to de-gas and temporarily thin the resin: electric hair dryer, infra-red hen-house lamps, alcohol lamp, propane torch, rotating at the rear of a lit and inside running gas grill/bbq, spot halogen lamps, and my trusty bic lighter, to name a few. I prefer the halogen light system, and am, at present, looking for a second hand "track" lighting system, so I can put several moveable lights to hit the guides.
I need a replacement for the GlassCoat, as I need the product to get to gel/non-sag/no more roterssierie
after about an hour, from start to finish, at average room temp 68-70F. They can take all the time they want to set up, after they quit sagging.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.165.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 03:46PM

Ken,
At the moment we have no Canadian Distributor, however I am dialoguing with an individual in Canada who is interested in doing distribution, so I'll keep you posted as to how that works out. You can buy the product through KAren HApka at Bingham Enterprises, Angler's Workshop or direct from me, as I developed the product.
You'll be very happy with the finish, the long term clarity is as good as it gets without going to an aliphatic urethane. If you're used to GlassCoat you'll appreciate the quick gel time, but unlike GlassCoat, you'll get a longer potlife. GlassCoat yellows terribly as well...in many cases inside of 72 hours of UV exposure.

Please call or email me if you have any questions, and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:08PM

Threadmaster sets up nice and hard and remains very flexable. I poured out a batch on some of the "Release" reynolds wrap aluminum foil and after several days I peeled off the leftover finish from the foil in ONE piece. I could bend the snot out of it and couldn't get it to break. I even folded it up like a piece of notebook paper without breaking.

It sets up so that it feels really hard, but it's still very flexable.

Not one problem here either, works well everytime.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster