I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast vs Fuji freshwater casting guides...
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:20AM

Been a fuji man all my life. Recently made a couple of rods with Forecast AOxide casting guides with some trepidation. Contemplating more builds. Cannot account for the Forecast guides in the field under sever load and long term punishment. products look same, what about toughness?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast vs Fuji freshwater casting guides...
Posted by: Robert Tignoe (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:45AM

Fred,I think we at Fishsticks4u can account for them. They are the ones we use on our customs rods and on our personal rods . A lot of what we build gets pretty heavy use ,and have never had a complaint about breakage , rust , or ring problems . To me that says a lot for the product . Again we dont just sell them , we use them . I hope this helps. Robert w / Fishsticks4u We are on the sponsor list

Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 09:28AM

I'll be calling you later this morning about some blanks. Like the song says, "breaking up is hard to do"....

Posted by: Joe Preast (---.16.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:01PM

I have used the Forecast guides on my last several builds. Robert turned me on to them. After several trips to the outer banks I have had no troubles with corrosion or failures on my personal rods and the customers that have rods with them love them.
HAGO!
Joe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 02:14PM

Have two halibut/ling cod rods in Alaska built completely on Forecast products. The customer treats them poorly, but they keep coming back for more. The rods have the BSUUG blackframe/blue ring boat guides. Dan Craft introduced me to the Forecast guides and many of my own rods have them.

Posted by: Adam Stewart (150.182.173.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 03:10PM

I have a couple of additional questions on the forecast guides:

1. What do the "Hard Aluminum Oxide" guides compare to with Fujis? I have assumed they are similar to Hardloy guides.
-->Is there a substantial weight difference from Forecast's to Fuji's?
--> Does forecast offer anything similar to Fuji's alconite guides?

2. I seem to remember reading that Forecast can do Silicon Carbide guides upon request, but they are not listed in their catalogue. Is this just for commercial rodbuilders, or could a hobby rodbuilder come by SIC Forecast guides? If I could get them through a Batson retailer, what kind of $$$ would we be talking?

Adam Stewart

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 01:45PM

Thank you everyone for the kind words in reagrds to the Batson - FORECAST guides.
ADAM: Sorry I did not answer these questions earlier, first weekend home in awhile. I promised my wife and kids no work.
I will only comment in regards to the Batson/Forecast product line. I will not compare the two product lines out of respect for Fuji.

*1) The tecnical information in regards to our "H" ring is on our website - www.batsonenterprises.com- top header " Components" then " Guides" then Read more about Forecast>>>. This will tell you Vickers hardness and other info.
--> I would be happy to weigh any guides you need weighed in the FORECAST series.
--> I would look at our Zirconium ring guides as an upgrade to our "H" ring
*2) We do special order SiC ring guides. This is NOT a stocking item for us. Our distributors can order them if they get enough requests for them. IMHO I prefer the Zirconium ring guides as they are not as brittle and the breakage of rings is not as apparant as the SiC rings - This is only my personal opinion.
*As far as cost you would need to ask our distributors what they would charge.
If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Thank you for looking at the Batson / Forecast components. The choice is yours to make, but you now have an option.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast product line
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster