I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glasscoat availability
Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:54AM

Brrrr, as I re-appear out of hibernation....curious to learn the fate of GlassCoat.....I went to the indicated web page off search and it's gone.
I went to Richard's Rod and Reel web page, and it's gone too. That leaves Bingham.
Do they still carry this stuff, or has it gone out of business?
Is there another replacement resin out there that sets up as quick? No spare BTUs this time of the year, to shorten the cure time of the longer cure products.
Thanks in advance. KD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glasscoat availability
Date: March 03, 2006 01:31AM

I think I've figured it out.... Going back to any date in 'search', I found a couple of interlocking previous threads tying various formulations in one dialogue. Shew... glad for that, or I would have taken way longer to get it !! Looks like glasscoat bit the dust, and was replaced by Mr. Dear's Threadmaster. Now all we need is a Canadian rep for that, and we're cool. Mr. Dear: Mr. Snedden's a logical choice....have you two chatted? :-)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.242.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 07:46AM

Check Bingham, Karen may have some left ??

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.242.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 07:47AM

Check Bingham, Karen may have some left ??

I am also looking for a replacement ??

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:23AM

The folks at GlassCoat were never high on the custom rod market. Not enough quantity to suit them. It was a good product, but as far as I know, no longer available. Bingham may have some left.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:40AM

If it is no longer available, and they are no longer a sponsor - is it OK if Imention that that finish RUINED 2 dozen rods I built? That was the best finish in terms of application & bubble release and ease of use (I never tried Flex Coat), and the worst when it came to beign exposed to sunlight and turning colors within 2 days.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.93.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:52AM

Thought that is what this board is for ??????? A lot of people use flex coat, but I find it yellows fast ?

Date: March 03, 2006 10:51AM

This has become a "destination" market, and the whales simply arrive with their high end sticks, break them, and take them home for a warranty claim.. The locals (bless their ittle pointed heads) are into buying factory stuff, because of lifetime warranty, low end Asian product, etc.. I handle local repairs, and build under 5 rods a year, these days.
That's why I have need for a fast setting resin.
It's pretty dumb to hang around the rotesserie for six hours, waiting on a 4.99 tip top re-wrap. I suppose I could get more rotators, but that's pretty dumb to fund with 4.99 repairs, too.
I use lots of 5-minute resin for real fast fixes, and it yellows in mere minutes when it goes to the river.
I'll see about the Threadmaster...I went to Mr. Dear's web page, and it looks like it will work out just fine.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.205.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 01:46PM

One thing I have been pondering is with talk of the yellowing being a good thing in order for the UV protection to work, there should be a " little " yellowing, if I understand it correctly, so if a finish is " totally " clear for a long time -- will the threads fade more quickly from the sun ??

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 01:56PM

BIll - I much rather have the threads turn colors over teh course of a few years, than a finish which turns brown after a week. I haven't been building long enough & that many rods to tell if the threads turn colros from sunlight - based on my intereactions with other more experianced builders - there is no doubt that they will, and certain colors worse than others.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.165.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 03:48PM

Amen Brother Billy....preach on.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.58.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 04:42PM

Come on Andy
You got a real nice finish there. One of if not the best. I was just pondering about that.
Hay, I ain't complaining

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 07:47PM

black on Black over BLACK + TM with B L A C K pigment won't yellow!

Andy - I am sending repairs out the door the next day without fear of scratching with Glass Coat. Under normal conditions what is the time for TM to pass the fingernail indentation test in the pan. No external heating -

Me

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.112.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 11:07AM

Bill S. The same amt. of time or less than GlassCoat.

Bill B. That wasn't directed at you in anyway...I just agree with Billy. Threads fade, it's a fact, but not nearly as fast as most finishes yellow. I'll put it this way, I fish more than enough to notice yellowing on my old rods, but not nearly enough to motice thread fading.

Andy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 08:02AM

I know what ya mean. I am just not used to how clear your finish is
Just put three handles together with your exotic cork rings. Nice stuff !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2006 08:10AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster