I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
flex coat won't harden
Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:28PM

I applied the second coat of finish to my wraps this past sunday and today (thursday) the wraps are still tacky!
I'm pretty confident your responses are going to be that my epoxy proportions wern't accurate but I'm also very confident that they were as I used the supplied hypos that came with the kit.
I had the rod turning on my rod lathe as it dried in a small room with consistent temperatures about 70-80 degrees for 24 hours.
I'm under the gun a little with this rod because it is an @#$%& item for a local charity next week and I don't have time to do a tearoff and re-wrap.
Could I just re-coat with FC from a new bottle?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
BjR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat won't harden
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:33PM

Well, the one thing we can be sure of is that there is nothing wrong with the Flex Coat itself. So, either your mix portions were off or your mixing wasn't complete.

I would try a very thin coat over the top of what you have now. Make sure to mix a full 3ccs of each part and mix for about 3 to 4 minutes.

Date: March 02, 2006 03:08PM

That's the rub. I am 100% positive that my proportions were equal and correct as I was showing someone at the time of how to extract the portions from the bottles and mix them correctly. He is a chemist and would have caught my error if I had made one.
What I did do that I didn't mention in my first post was that the fellow at the fly shop I bought the FC from suggested that I warm the two bottles in a microwave for just a few seconds to warm them up before I measured them into the hypos. I didn't like the idea of that because my wife would have popped a seam had one of those bottles busted in the micro. So to warm up the mixes I put a piece of wood across the top of the electric heater for a few minutes and put the bottles on the board while I set up the rod in my lathe and got out supplies/ prep and such. It was maybe three minutes that it was indirectly exposed to heat. Is it possible that could have changed the FC? I've read in here of folks putting their FC in the micro too and I thought that was a little over the top and risky at the time unless they had a designated work micro for just such purposes and wouldn't matter if epoxy exploded inside it.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.143.141.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 04:12PM

I just put mine in a container of warm water for awhile. I have used the microwave, and neither method has ever caused any set-up problems.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: KEVIN BOGAN (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 04:14PM

BRAD. ARE YOU PAINTING OUT OF THE MIXING CONTAINER? iF SO, YOU MUST POUR THE MIX OUT ON A FLAT SHEET OG ALUMINUM FOIL, OR COATED PAPER PLATE. FOR SOME REASON IT DOESNT CURE ALL THE WAY WHEN YOU LEAVE IT IN THE MIXING CUP. ALSO IF YOU ARE WORKING IN A BASEMENT OR GARAGE THERE MIGHT BE ENOUGH AMBIENT MOISTURE IN THE AIR TO MAKE IT TACKY. iF THIS IS YOUR WORKING ENVIROMENT, TRY A DIFFERENT ROOM IN THE HOUSE AND YOU WILL GET BETTER RESULTS. i RECOMMEND MIXING FOR 2 1/2 MINUTES
kEVIN BOGAN

Date: March 02, 2006 05:11PM

I mix it in an aluminum mixing cup made specifically for mixing epoxy. The moisture issue........? Possibly..........But I've never had this problem before. What would be the worst case secenario if I just re-coated over the soft wraps?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:21PM

Brad,do you apply from the same mixing cup or pour it out and let it spread out.Leaving it in the mixing vessel will allow unmixed potions to creep up the side and then be picked up by your brush.If you are worried about the epoxie why not mix up a test batch and apply it to a test wrap first ,however I`m pretty sure the finish is ok.I only zap the resin in the micro when needed,not the hardener.At only 10 second bursts dont worry about an explosion.Also do it with the cap off.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.134.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:24PM

FlexCoat will cure even if it is dumped in a glass of water. It may blush in the process but it will cure.

What was the temp. in your shop? Below 60 degrees and it will stay tacky for quite a while.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Date: March 02, 2006 05:30PM

There is never any reason to heat epoxy unless your resin has crystalized. It's a shame that this sort of thing is getting started - that you should heat your epoxy prior to measuring and mixing. There's just no reason to do it. If it's cold where you store it or plan to work, get it up to room temp, but please don't heat it. MIcro-waving and hot water and all that sort of thing is intended to return a crytalized resin to good condition. But these things just aren't necessary unless your resin has crystalized. These are the type things the internet spreads when somebody mis-understands and then repeats their mistake on another forum. It makes the rounds until it causes problems for a lot of people.

Now having said that, heat is not going to make any composition changes - at least not the kind of heat you're talking about. The Flex Coat was not your problem. Bad batches are possible but extemely rare, almost non-existent. And, if it set up properly on the first application, then it would have done the same on the second.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but something in your measuring or mixing is the far most likely culprit. Stay focused on that. Anybody can make a mistake once in a while.

Date: March 02, 2006 05:33PM

Mositure, humidity, etc., will not affect the cure of your epoxy. Neither will leaving it in the mixing cup. I have yet to pour any mix out onto foil and my epoxy has always set properly. (If you have bubble trouble, by all means pour it out onto foil.)

There are many myths that revolve around the use of epoxy but the one thing you can count on is that if you measure and mix it properly, it is going to set up.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:34PM

If you re coat over the tacky Flex Coat you should be ok. The catalyst component in the new coat should have positive effect on the previous uncured resin component in the last coat. The uncured coat would most likely harden up anyways over time if it isnt too soft. The final coat will give it protection till it does.

Date: March 02, 2006 06:08PM

Thanks I'll give re-coating a whirl .
BjR

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:45PM

Hi Brad,

How many CC's did you mix (1,2,3 etc)? One thing not to do to fix your problem is to just apply more hardner. That does not work at all. I had one batch of Flex Coat that would not dry and I was positive I mixed 3CC of each part and mixed it properly but after 3 days it was still tacky. I took Tom's sugestion and mixed another batch of epoxy (3CC of each) applied it and that did the trick. I think if you do as Tom says you'll be ok. Remember 3CC's of each don't try to save a little there.

Let us know how you make out.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:08PM

My experience was an air bubble in one of the syringes. You can bet I look for and purge the air now!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:22PM

Different angle - Did the first coat you applied get hard? Have you used Flex Coat before or is this the first time you have used this product? If this is the first time do are the caps on the two bottles the same color?

Date: March 02, 2006 07:48PM

2CC's is all I need to coat the rod. !00% sure I had equal proportions hardener/epoxy. Verified by friend who was there with me.
Waited for all the air bubbles to purge from the syringe. Flicked them out with my fingers
Yes the first coat got hard and have used FC for years. Correct color on Caps.
Consistent 75-80 degrees in drying room for 24 hours minimum.
If there is no immediate or long term problem with re-coating I'll go that route.
Would the worst case scenario might be the person who buys the rod at @#$%& might have the guides come unwrapped ? In which case I'd just re-do the wraps.
BjR

Date: March 02, 2006 07:54PM

I doubt they'd come unwrapped. If we're only talking "tacky" and not soft finish, the coating would just get dull and shabby looking.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 08:08PM

Brad,

For the little extra cost of another cc of finish why take chances. Not taking anything from Tom but when a gentlemen like Ralph O'Quinn says min. of 3cc's each then that's what I'm going to do. I know many guys here on this forurm will say that they mix less and have no problems but it's a potentional problem that can be avoided. You can play Russan roulette with a revolver and be ok most of the time but there's that one time that's going to get you.

As far as letting the rod go with tacky finish that's poor craftsmanship. People will remember that one rod that was not right and forget the 99 rods that was done correctly.

Like Tom says, mix 3cc each of part a & part B, mix well and apply to your wraps. I think you'll be pleasently suprised. Also if you check the Flex coat site you'll find the same information in their Q&A section.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 02, 2006 08:46PM

Why 3cc's. Is that a magic mixing number? I will have alot left over that will be wasted. I can do the whole rod with 1-1/2 cc's but I always mix up 2cc's to be safe and then I end up still tossing some out.
Yes I hate the thought of sending out a rod that's not the kind of quality I would expect of myself. I'm running out time and I'm running out of options if the re-coat doesn't work. I'm going to use a new bottle of FC on the next coat.
Thanks for all your input. This is a great resource.
BjR

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:04PM

There is some margin for error between the syringes, how your eyes persieve the level
inside, the measuring graduations on the cylinder, etc.. There is some margin for error
built into the mixing ratio but the larger the quantities mixed the lower the ratio for error
becomes. Like Milton said, why take chances!
I don't like waste either so sometimes I will look around for something that could use a fresh
coat of finish like a knife handle to apply the extra Flex-Coat onto.
A finish problem is the last thing I want to happen after spending the time to build a rod!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster