I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building grips........can't figure it out
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:46PM

Hey guys,
Now it is time to show everyone how stupid I am (my wife already knows).

When I build handles, I build them on a wood lathe on a mandrel. I don't often turn corks on the rod blank now. I would like to turn my butt capps with my handles so they blend in really well.

How do I do this without turning it on the rod blank. Do I bore the cork big enough to go over the butt end of the blank and then use arbors to make it fit tight?? Do I just turn them on the blank.

Any suggestions will be helpful guys.
Thanks

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building grips........can't figure it out
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:14PM

John, if you are talking about rubber or plastic butt caps, cut off the closed end of an extra butt cap and put the cylinder you have left on the mandrel with the cork. Check the cork often as you shape it until they fit together like you want. You need to buy "The Wood Lathe in Rodbuilding" with Andy Dear. I learned this and a lot more from him. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:45PM

I add the butt cork (or whatever material) as the LAST step in making a rod. I use a single solid cork ring (with no hole in it), and bore it about 1/3 of the way through to be slightly larger than the outside diameter of the blank. Then I simply glue this ring to the secont-to last ring and sand it by hand. Only takes a few minutes to do this and you end up with a perfectly seamless butt that perfectly matches your grip.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 02:26PM

I do something between Ralph and Mike. I use a solid ring (no center bore), usually rubberized cork for durability. I check the ID of the blank at the butt. I drill a hole 1/3 into the ring into which I glue (Tite Bond III) a short section of wood dowel. I mount the dowel in my 4 jaw chuck and turn down the ring to the shape that I want and a diameter such that the end that will butt up against the second to last ring will be slightly larger. Then as the last step in building a use Rod Bond to glue the dowel inside the blank butt and clamp with some rubber bands that are looped just ahead in the handle. When dry, I hand sand the extra diameter down to get the final fit.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.36.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 02:30PM

I do all of the above.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas99.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:07PM

OK
I usually make colored ends for my handles. After the rod is done, I grind up a little of the section of the tube I made the end ring from, mix with rod bond, or 5 min and shove it into the hole at the end. After dry sand and coat.
I have been buying car interior plugs and shapping and polishing them for the hole also.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:30PM

I use 1-1/8" long EVA foam bumper end cap of a similar dia to that of the cork rings used, glued up like a cork ring, it has a 3/8" hole. I put it on a mandrel and shape to please. I have had the shaped flush mounted blk foam piece come off the end of tarpon ball shaped fighting butt before, So I extend the blank into the foam 3/8"- 1/2". I sharpen one end of a brass tube of the apprpriate I.D. to cut a small EVA plug of the appropriate slightly larger I.D. to plug the hole in the 1-1/8" EVA foam bumper. The plug is glued up then sanded flush and the seam is bearly visible. This actually makes a void that cushions the butt from damage if you drop the out fit. It also gives you the opprotunity to internally weight the very end of the butt inside the blank and balance a specific reel on the rod. I match the EVA foam as best I can to the blank color, I can match blk, brown and gray blanks, I am looking for 1-1/4" dia with a 3/8" I.D. hole in Green and Blue EVA which has been impossible to find in those dimensions, the hole always runs too big

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster