I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Shimano 2000 compared to 4000
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 08:39AM

A little off topic, but can anyone tell me how much higher a Shimano 4000 is than a 2000? I have a 2000 Sahara I am using to set up a rod right now; but I will also be doing another soon that I might like to use a 4000 on but don't know how much higher the spindle (center of spool) is off the seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Shimano 2000 compared to 4000
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:21AM

Marty,

I just compared a Shimano Stradix 4000 to a Stradix 2000 and the spindle height is the same for both. I also compared a Shimano Sedona 4000 to the Stradix 4000. The Sedona spindle is higher by about 4-5 mm.

Stan

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:53AM

That's odd. Sounds like dimensions might vary from one model to the other, but the 2000 and 4000 are roughly the same in a given model?

Posted by: Adam Stewart (150.182.175.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:18PM

I don't know all the Shimano reel sizes off the top of my head, but it may be useful to keep in mind that Shimano re-tooled most of their spinning reels over the past couple of years--the year model of the reel might make a difference in this measurement. For example, the Stradic (easily my favorite spinning reel) is no longer offered in a 2000 size. It goes from 1000 to 2500, then 4000, if memory serves (there may be a 3000, but I'm not certain). The 'New' Stradic is quite different from the old; of course, they didn't offer it in the 2500 size previously.

Also, I've noted that sometimes manufacturers will use essentially the same gearbox and frame for two different sizes of reels. Certain Daiwa's, like the Capricorn, were offered in a 1500 and 2000 size, but the only real difference in the two models was the size of the spool--the gearbox and frame were the same size. Usually, the weight difference between these reels won't be substantial, so if you have a catalogue with specs on the reels for the same year-model you are using, you may be able to infer the dimensions of the reel from the listed weight.

Adam Stewart

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:06PM

What Adam says is for the most part true, I would add that previouly all the reels in the same series cost the same price, well last year Shimano upped the price on the 4000 size Stradic, but they have finally done something about the line cutting the graphite line roller housing on the arm side of the bail rotor. I have had to fashion a small piece of alu. that fills in this void and re directs the line onto the line roller giving it no place to cut into the graphite line roller housing.
The Shimano reel sizes are all over the place some series are still 1000, 2000, 4000.... but yet others like Sedona, Sahara, Symetre are 750. 1500, 2500, 4000...Current Stradic reel sizes are 1000, 2500, 4000. THEN there was a Stradic 3000 made back in the early 90's it was offered as the Stradic 4000 in the U.S. it had a double paddle handle, and this is something that I still do which is substitute the Spirex (current series sizing 1000,2000,4000) double paddle handle, incorporating the current Stradic body shaft. All the high speed wobble disappears entirly and you turn a smaller circle. You have never felt a smoother turning Stradic. After they stopped making the Stradic with the double paddle handle for the U.S. Market, shimano offerd it to the European market as the Stradic 3000 (Same size as the 4000) There is lots of crazy Shimano stuff out there that is made for the European and Japan markets. *****Note that even when Shimano makes a series that has instant anti-reverse as a feature, the UL version in that series does not have it, Instant anti reverse in most UL spinning reels was uncommon until just recently

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster