I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Insert Advice
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:37AM

Hi All
Have taken all your advice on board from my last post and have got my guides all placed and will be wrapping shortly. I was amazed at how the guide spacing turned out after placing them while the blank was flexed. BUT I'm going to get another couple blanks for saltwater flyfishing. Any advice as of size of guides for bigger diameter flylines like 8, 9, 10,11. Ive went with 6's(Titanium frame SiC's) on the rod Im making just now and it seems good but its only a 6 weight. Does anyone have a rough guide I can follow? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insert Advice
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:41AM

Many rod manufacturers post guide size & spacing charts, so do many of the sponsors posted on the left of this site. Check those out & compare them to see what the consensus is. Also, many fly fishing sites will also have charts if there is a rod building section to the site. Finally, try a search on this site, I'm sure that you will find some here as well. You will find that there will be many opinions on sizes and spacing. After casting many rods & building many more, you will get some opinions and preferences of your own...there is no one "right" way to do any of this rod building stuff.

Build and enjoy...

Tim

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2006 08:48AM

Even a #6 guide has plenty of space for large fly lines. A 10-weight line won't use 10% of the space in #6 ring.

However, you need to be able to clear knots and shooting head connections. For that reason on the larger rods, say 8-weight and up, I tend to lean toward #7 or #8 running guides. I have used #10's on the really large rods when heavy shooting heads and their related connections are expected.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:22AM

Tom has sort of summed it up but the easyiest way i found was take the leader and tie a big knot (like an overhand on a blood knot) then feed it through various sizes of guide until it clears easy I was surprised how small the guide really needs to be
as for the spacing I`m sure we discussed that before no two blanks are ever the same so individually space each one ( you can use one as a template but still space accordingly ) those little fractions out can and do make a lot of difference

hope it helps
Allen

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 05:06PM

Thanks Again for the great help. Tom you must be able to read minds because the knot issue was my concern. How would you recommend stepping down the guides. Ill tell you what Ive done for my 6 weight. Ive started with a 12 DF to 10 SF to 8 SF to 7 - 6 mm SF to a 7 tip as I couldnt find a 6 in titanium. On a Saltwater rod would I do much the same or thinking I may step down sharply from second DF stripper to 7SF???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster