I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Wraps, How Many?
Posted by: Jon Behm (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 01:12PM

New to board.

Before I start buildind my first rod complete I am rewrapping some old but good rods. They seen to be coming out very good for a begginer.

But a question that I haven't seen answered in some of the books I have......

How many layers of thread are required or how many do you use to actual hold down the foot of the guide. I did my first rewrap with 3, now I am doing 2....should it only be 1?

Thanks, Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Wraps, How Many?
Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: March 01, 2006 01:14PM

Do you mean an underwrap, place the guide on top of that and then wrap over the guide feet?
Or do you mean 3 layers on top of the guide foot?
1 layer of thread on the guide foot is plenty on light tackle.

Posted by: Jon Behm (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 01:27PM

On top of the guide foot Larry.

I am a salt water rod user. Presently rewrapping boat rods.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 01, 2006 02:58PM

For holding line guides onto the rod blank:
One OVER-WRAP per guide foot is sufficient,
using any size thread (2/0 - E. Most prefer size A).
An Under-wrap is completely optional,
or even totally UN-necessary. ... -Cliff Hall+++

It takes over 40 pounds of pull to rip a line guide off the rod blank. You would often destroy the guide frame or snap the rod before the guide pulled out of the wraps. ANY SIZE THREAD will provide 3 to 7 times that amount of holding power.

TITLE: "Gudebrod Thread Table: Strength & Weight of Guide Wraps for Size 2/0 - E" For general reference, a Table of Calculated Strengths and Weights of UNFINISHED Gudebrod Thread Wraps for Sizes 2/0-E, for Silk, Regular Nylon, NCP and HT Metallics, assuming a thread wrap bandwidth of 1 cm, around a rod blank of circumference of 1 cm (OD = 1/Pi = 3.18 mm), is available at: [www.rodbuilding.org]
(Calculated values, not direct "in-situ" measurements.)
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2006 03:03PM by Cliff Hall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster