I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Filling Permagloss can
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:42PM

Joe at the U-40 booth was going to demo filling the can but I missed that one .Did anyone catch it???I seem to remember him saying something about taping the lid so it dont get glued shut.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Filling Permagloss can
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 11:09PM

The way Ralph showed it, you pour the Permagloss into the can and then tap the lid shut. Then you set the can on its side and punch a small nail hole on the side near the bottom. Then insert the screw eye. Then set the can back up. It will leak a little for a minute or two while some permagloss seeps out but then it will seal and after that you're good to go. The permagloss that leaks out will form threads around the screw eye.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:06AM

Do you lay it on its side after a while to stop the leaking and let it set up, or just leave it upright and it takes care of itself?

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:13AM

Just let it leak out till it stops. It will set up and create a seal.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2006 09:28AM by Sean Endres.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:14AM

Joe also mentioned that he puts a coating of permagloss in the can groove prior to tapping the lid in place.

Stan

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 12:52PM

Fred,
Joe also made a very specific point to me that the can be unlined. Randy.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 07:06PM

Let a little leak out and then lean it back. When you do it like that you aren't as prone to loose as much, the other suggestion would be to fill it on a humid day if possible. That will help it set up faster. If anyone is still interest in a can drop me a email.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:25PM

Sammy
If you lean it back you are letting air (moisture) enter the can, which will be defeating the purpose. Let it sit and leak just as we demonstrated. The few drops that you waste will be worth it in the long run.
Ralph

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:46PM

Thanks Ralph, I have been letting it at least get "tacky" to the point it has almost stopped dripping, but you are right on the money. Glad to see you posting, I hope you a good trip back.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:34PM

i bought a can, but the color inside is gray as opposed to the aluminum color on the outside. Dumb question i guess, but is this can lined?

Thanks

Carrington Tate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster