I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gee, Emily.... (and Andy Dear)
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:22PM

How did you let me escape without at least a dozen of your favorite blue rod blanks? Here I was dragging folks over to look at them and - I guess I just forgot to stick a bunch of those beautiful "wrong color" 7' medium action blanks in my pile of stuff. I never even realized it until a few minutes ago when I was sorting through my "loot". Of course I did manage to grab every last All Star 806 that you had as well as those lovely honey colored composite trolling/standup rods so I can't be too upset.
I just put a coat of Andy's finish on the "scrap wrap" that Sean (from NERBS) gave me for the local thread ladies. How nice that was to work with! Now all I have to do is finish up the burl cork handle on the Lamiglas 'Stitchin' Rod' & post some photos of that for Todd Vivian's "reference model" (LOL)>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gee, Emily.... (and Andy Dear)
Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:07AM

Ken, it was a pleasure to meet you!! Let me know how the local thread ladies like those nice Madeira colors.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Date: March 01, 2006 06:18PM

Sean,
I just covered it with THREADMASTER. I've got to say this is the best finish I've used in a very long time. It's got a really familiar smell to it - not offensive but one I've smelled before but a long time ago in some finish I got from a shop in New York that went out of business on me. The penetration, leveling and bubble release are pretty darned amazing. For such a light finish it's very cohesive (molecule to molecule) which really cuts down on sagging and it goes on in one very smooth coat. Definite winner! I'm sure the "thread ladies" will be amazed at what YOU (and the other NERBS) do with thread.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 01, 2006 06:38PM

Ken - Manhattan Custom Tackle finish? If so, "Grumpy" Phil went out of business right before I started Rodbuilding. He had a death in his family and shut it down (the shop was on teh second floor on Broadway & 21st street). He ran out of his shop in Bushwick Brooklyn, blowing everything out on @#$%& as "Grumpy Phil". The name fit.

I saw my first butt wrap at his shop, a Spaced Star, and purchased my copy of Custom Rod Thread Art from him as I was on my way up to see my wife's brother who almost died after getting electricuted fixing an AC in a building in Manhattan.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.236.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 08:52PM

Ken,
It's not the same finish, as ThreadMaster is a relatively new formulation, but it could be a similar chemistry, thus the familiar smell.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Date: March 01, 2006 09:54PM

Billy - Yes Manhattan Custom Tackle. They had two different finishes. One was a 'normal' epoxy (the one that sorta smells like Threadmaster / but is not) and another that was at two part but highly flammable. I remember trying to 'flame' their second formula (which had no warning on the labels). I lost all the hair off the back of my right hand when I got a butane lighter right up next to it "WHOOSH" flammable!

Andy --- No it is not - not at all the same. Threadmaster is much, much easier to work with than anything I've tried thus far. I'm wondering why I only bought a 4 oz kit and what I'm going to do with the quarts of other finishes. Also wondering why I didn't take a whole box of those beautiful blue
"bad color" 7 foot medium blanks along with half a box of the 6'6" models.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster