I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The 2006 National Rod Builders Show Recap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2006 11:18AM

I’m going to leave this up for a day or so in order that the many good companies and people who made this event the tremendous success that it was can be recognized. But I do ask that you not respond to this thread or we’ll wind up with a hundred posts and end up knocking all the rod building topics off the first page. If you want to bring up a specific issue, please start a new thread or email me directly - any replies to this one will be removed. Thanks.

As with any event, for anything, there are always upsides and downsides. This year's event was no different. Overall I feel that the show was a tremendous success for everyone involved. I want to take a moment and cover a few things I think deserve special mention. I apologize beforehand if I have left anyone out - there is just so much going on right now it is very possible I may overlook someone. If I do, it is unintentional.

ATTENDANCE: The Rod Builders Show attendance was up over last year. And last year was nothing short of fantastic. We had more builders and more vendors than either of the previous years. Everyone I spoke with, builder or vendor, seemed very pleased with overall size, scope and quality of the event. I will have some numbers in a few days.

SALES: You can't get vendors to come to a show like this unless their bottom line sales figures can justify it. While I have not heard back from all the vendors as of this morning, the three who have crunched their numbers and spoken with me all said that their sales figures this year were about double that of last year. Fantastic. That's what I had hoped, but frankly, even I'm shocked that their bottom lines increased that much. However, I'm still going to be very cautious about adding more retail vendors until I am positive we can continue to increase attendance each year. I want those that have been with us these past three years to continue to reap sufficient sales benefits so that they can continue to attend, display and go home with a better bottom line than before.

SEMINARS: I was very happy with how the seminars came off this year. All the presenters did a first class job and each session began on time. Most of the seminars (save for mine on the excise tax) drew from 75 to 80 people. This included Sunday’s sessions, which are generally a bit smaller due to smaller attendance on the last day of the event. There were a few seminars that settled in at only about 40 to 50 people, but considering that two seminars often ran at the same time and that hundreds of folks stayed on the exhibit hall floor, I think the numbers were quite good. And... regardless of the number of people in the rooms, the information presented and shared was nothing short of phenomenal. The best in the business, by the best in the business, in my opinion.

I want to mention and offer a special thanks to our seminar presenters, who did an outstanding job. Many builders made a special effort to stop by my booth and tell me just how much they enjoyed a particular seminar or presenter. I really hope these folks know just how much their efforts were appreciated.

Ralph O’Quinn

Rich Forhan

Mike Barkley

Joe Emig

Mark Crouse

Jim Upton

Andy Dear

Bill Stevens

Randy Parpart

Every one of these guys went above and beyond the call of duty and I hope to see them back next year. Guys, your presentations were very much enjoyed by the builders. Believe it.

VENDORS: You can’t do this sort of thing without a good turn out from the rod building supply manufacturers and vendors. We had plenty and their presence was essential to the success of this event. A special thanks to the following:

Batson Enterprises (Rainshadow Forecast)

FishSticks 4U

Pacific Bay

Donart

CTS Rod Blanks

Lamar Fishing Products

Mickels Custom Rods

NERBS (NorthEast Rod Builders)

Goodwin Manufacturing (Zebra Lighting Systems)

Trondak U-40

Mud Hole

Lamiglas

Decal Connection

St. Croix

Angler’s Resources (Fuji)

Custom Tackle Supply

G. Loomis, Inc.

Sticks and Bones (J.P. Timberlake)

Easy Weave Looms (Stan Lothamer)

Ken Preston

Renzetti, Inc.

REC Components

Cheasapeake Cork Products

Gudebrod

American Tackle

Swampland Custom Rods

A special mention must be made about both Ken Preston and the NERBS - Neither expected to come to the event and make money. They did it because they enjoy being a part of the event and working with the rod builders. Their presence made this a better event.

Although Hiro Tanaka was not an official part of the program or vendor list, I do want to thank him for coming all the way from Japan. His work has been admired by many over the past few years and I think it was an honor for many of us to actually meet and speak to him in person.

Italo Busi came over from Italy and as always, it was a pleasure to have him at the event.

These people contributed in their own way and made the event that much more special.

Now the downside...

RODMAKER RECEPTION: I greatly underestimated how many builders would be on hand for the Saturday evening reception. This meant a very crowded room and not enough food to go around in the quantities I think were needed. I have already decided to rent a larger reception area for next year and to increase the amount and quality of the refreshments provided. A few of the vendors who had promised door prizes forgot to bring them upstairs. Not a huge deal, but next year I’ll coordinate this better so the “loot” will all be on display at the actual event. Overall, it was certainly a great success, but I wasn’t satisfied. Next year’s reception will be better.

I want to thank Matt from Renzetti and Mark from C&G Tackle for helping out with getting everyone a name tag and their door prize tickets. These guys made my job a lot easier.

ADMISSION FEE: We advertised the event as $12 for one day or $20 for two days. Sometime before Saturday morning, the convention center decided that wasn’t enough - they bumped the fee up to $14 for one day, and $24 for two. You have no idea how upset I am at this. While a couple bucks is no big deal, telling people one price and then charging a different price is a very big deal as far as I’m concerned. I feel bad about this and sincerely apologize for the unannounced increase. I have already had words with the people responsible for this.

Frankly, I feel that the admission fee has grown too high. It makes no sense to take a good horse that is performing well and ride it into the ground just because you can. A lower admission fee is going to be one of the major talking points I’m going to pursue with the venue before next year’s event. Count on it.

SEMINARS: I said the seminars were great and they were. But... we still need good audio visual equipment so that people in the back of the rooms can see the presentation as well as those in the front row. This is very important when we’re dealing with reel seats, thread art, etc., where small items and up close hand work is involved. I promise to have cameras and large viewing screens in place next year. It costs money but this event generates enough revenue that it certainly can and should do more to make these outstanding seminars easier to view. I’ll take care of this - next year every seat will be the best seat in the room.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2006 08:52AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Attendance Figures
Date: March 01, 2006 12:43PM

According the roughly 1650+ "ballots" filled out at the show this past weekend, 1354 people said they attended specifically for the rod building show. Here is the breakdown of how they said they learned of the event:

207 - via internet

463 - via direct mail

684 - via RodMaker Magazine

I'm not going to say these figures are exact, but they should provide a pretty accurate number of the rod builders there and the medium in which they learned about the event. It will help me with next year's advertising and promotion. I think we can easily continue to grow the attendence next year.

Dates
Date: March 10, 2006 07:22PM

I will post the show dates for the 2007 event on the website in late April, if not sooner. It will be in February, most likely the second or third weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster