I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exotic burl- quick removal
Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 04:08PM

i have been Turning grips and reel seats from Andy's exotic burl, but they take a huge amount of time. To get down to the approx. diameter before shaping the grip, reel seat, etc., i've been using a rasp. To shape i have been using 60 grit which works fine, but still takes a lot of time. Does anyone have a more effective method for this cork?

Thanks for the help

Carrington Tate

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exotic burl- quick removal
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 04:17PM

If you're using a lathe with tool rest, you can do it with a skew gouge. It can take some chunks out so be careful only to turn it down to the point where you can start working it with a rasp and sandpaper. Seems to work for me.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Terry Henson (---.arcdca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 04:27PM

I use a belt sander, not the hand held type, but one that is a base mount. I bought one at home depot and it takes a 4" X 36" belt. If needed I have a current picture of one. I can work down a handle that has ivory, wood and cork in about 5 minutes and get it close to the shape. Then place it in the lathe and 10 minutes of shaping and smoothing it is finished.

Good Luck.

Terry

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 05:01PM

I use Terry's method and it works great. I used to use a skew gouge but sometimes I would knock out a bit too much. Once on the lathe I use a long board with sandpaper on it to get the grip round and procede with the shaping.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:05PM

Have you tried the dry wall sanding mesh in 60 grit? It works faster than paper as it doesn't load as easy.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:47PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Don't shop for a cheap one - buy the Tweezerman.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:50PM

Thanks for the great ideas, i appreciate the help.

Carrington Tate

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2006 07:17PM

Use a Stanley Sur-Form file. That's all it'll take to do the job very quickly.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 07:56PM

Another good one is at home depot a wood rasp. Flat on one side half round on the other. Has fine and very ruff grit. Takes a good amount off and is easy to hold, with two shapes to it About 8" long

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 10:59PM

I've gone to the Sur-Form; it was a True Value copy of Stanley's and it really does a good job. After that, I drop to the drywall open mesh and finish out the shaping with it.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 11:09PM

WoodCraft has a tool that also works well. It's similar to a Sur-Form but has a sharper, more precise, cutting surface.

Several interchangable grades of cutting surfaces (coarse to fine) are available. They're a little pricey, but cut all cork/wood better than the Sur-Form, IMO.

Stan

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:18AM

I've used all the above methods and also being an old horseshoer I use a horseshoe rasp. This is a double sided rasp with a corse and an extra corse side. Just be real careful using the extra corse side or you can take off too much or can take off a chunk of your own hide before you even know it. You can find these rasps in a farrier supply web site or if you know of a shoer you can get their old rasps after they are too dull for hooves, they will still be plenty sharp for cork.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (159.37.7.---)
Date: March 01, 2006 04:45PM

Thanks again for all the help. I just went to the hardware store and picked up a Stanley sur-form, definitely looks like it will do the job. After my original post, i recalled the sur form from Tom's book. Thanks for all the replies!

Carrington Tate

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster