I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Show
Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 08:07PM

I first want to thank all of the rod builders and exhibitors at the show. The hospitality shown to Swifty Manufacturing and myself was just awesome. I was happy to finally get a chance display the Diamondite Product line and the Nu-Skin Rod Armor product line. I know that there were some on-site tests of the products. All the feedback I received was just as I expected. The product did what I had stated.

I look forward to the long term relationships that were established at the show. I look forward to next year.

Sincerely,

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 08:37PM by Tim Campbell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Show
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:06PM

Tim
Does any one on the left carry your finish. That " activator " thing interests me and I got to try it.

It does not act like fiberglass resin does it ? Did a lot of glass work on corvette's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 10:10PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:35PM

Bill,
Mark & Colleen at @#$%& carry it as well as the adhesive and C.P.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2006 11:45PM

Tim's new finish is a unique concept in rod finishing systems. I was very impressed with it and think it has great potential in the rod building industry. More on that later.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas67.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 07:34AM

Unique concept, great potential ???? Fine, but how is it ?

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 09:19AM

Bill,

The guys at FishSticks4U in Virginia took product from me at the show and placed a stock order. Mark at C & M Tackle has been shipping product and has it in stock also. I have other distributors, just not ones associated with Rodbuilders.org.

The product does not act like fiberglass resin. I saw some of the tests that Ken Preston was doing at the show. He was even able to colorize it with pigments and got the results he was looking for. The product still was able to cure extremely quickly with the addition of the pigments. Ken stated to me that he was also impressed with the adhesion qualities of the product and wanted to test it on inlays.

I just want to remind everyone that it is not an epoxy product with different techniques used to mix the product and cure the product. Read the instructions.

I will back from the show on Tuesday as I fly back to Los Angeles today. My shop phone is always an option.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: February 27, 2006 10:13AM

Tim,
Is the video tutorial working on your website yet? The last time I tried it ti still was not working.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.158.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 11:41AM

If Ken likes the adhesion he may be thinking of a blank coating ?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 06:44PM

For anyone "wondering" about Diamondite. I bought a small "kit" in Charlotte and I did a few "experiments" with it. The first one that I tried did not work well at all. Understand that this was the first time I had seen or tried the product and it is different than what we are normally used to working with. The mix is 2:1 vs the normal 1:1 ratio. The material is really a "glue" more than a "thread finish" and adding any pigments to it will require more experimentation to understand the interactions (physical and chemical) as well as what ratio of pigment is needed to achieve either a transluscent or opaque finish. The first attempt , as I said did not go well - but that could have been MY Problem and not the material's ( I tried a flake automotive tint) . The second batch I tried I used powder paint (jig head 'dip') which did produce a very tough, opaque finish which cured under a 100 watt "blue color balanced" incandescent lamp. The finish was "tack free" in just over 30 minutes and completely cured in just under 2 hours - absent the light source. Understand also please, that this was nothing like a controlled environment or a controlled set of mixes of finish to pigment., while the blue color is very smooth the finish is a bit thicker than I had hoped. Likely the finish can be made smoother with more pigment - but the ratio base to activator still has to be worked out. As I learn more about it and have a chance to "play" with the small amount of material I have I will let everyone know of any progress.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 07:08PM

I can attest to what Ken is saying as I was standing there talking with him when Tim came over to check the progress on the experiment.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster