I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Blank
Posted by: Ben Lennon (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:17PM

What tool/saw are most people using when cutting a blank down. Particularly a heavy offshore blank. I've done some searches but not too much is said about what type of saw is used. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Blank
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:28PM

I use a plain old hack saw. One thing I do though to help prevent splinters is to wrap masking tape in the area I am going to cut, I also cut most of the way through one side then turn it over and cut from the other side. Just trying not to splinter the glass or graphite. If you do make a little mistake it is usually easy to hide under the buttcap or grip. It would be nice to have all the fancy tools but I dont so I make do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (147.145.40.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:29PM

Fine tooth hacksaw would work. I use a cutoff wheel on my Dremel.

Posted by: Jason Walker (131.191.32.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:50PM

I agree. The cutoff wheel for the dremel is pretty slick. Just make sure not to breathe in the graphite or fiberglass dust and wear safety glasses just in case.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.starwoodbroadband.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:15PM

Dremel with cut-off wheel. Mark the location of the cut with masking tape and use eye protection. Dress cut edges with a fine file. If you don't have a Dremel, a triangular file is probably the next best thing to use.

Stan

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:12PM

I use a jewelers saw which is basically just a VERY fine Hacksaw. Saw, a little, rotate the blank a little, saw a little more. The Exacto "Hobby Saw" can also be used.

Derek

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 09:23PM

Harbor Frieght sells a 4" mini chopsaw. I added a metal-cutting composite 4" saw blade to it (looks like a thin grinding wheel). Cuts right through a thick walled blank in seconds. Leaves a nice clean splinter-free cut. I picked up the chop saw on sale for $24.99. I've made hundreds of cuts with it with practically no wear on the saw or blade. Made a nice wooden fence for the saw that holds the blank perpendicular to the blade for exact 90* angle cuts.

Lou

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 12:11AM

I use a Dremel. I buy Diamonds blades them from a lipadery company. Veary high quality at a fraction of the cost I can get them form other places.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 03:15PM

If you are cutting enough to justify the cost you might want to try a diamond blade in a chop saw or MITRE saw. I have a diamond blade that I have cut literally hundred of pieces of graphite with and it does a really nice job and is very fast. The diamond blade also does a very nice job of cutting cork. Both the graphite and the cork end up with a very nice straight, fine edge where they have been cut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster