I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Poor service from suppliers
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 11:29PM

Just reread my post and realized that I've a few mispellings. (i.e. form for from, owned for owed) Apologies. Also, by 'free time' eaten up waiting, I meant that the period of the year where I had time to built, I had no parts to build with.

Incidentally, I had to dispute the charges with my credit card company to get my funds back. I had to fight the urge to drop Tom a line in my frustration but resisted that since it is not really Tom's job to regulate vendors's performance. Tom has done an incredible job running a great forum and a great magazine, both of which I've gained a lot from. Thanks Tom.

Still, it would be nice to have a forum where dealer's performance could be rated. Collectively, that would be informative for people like myself.

Thanks again for reading.

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.starwoodbroadband.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 11:44PM

The solution to Mo's problem is to never do business with a vendor who doesn't perform as expected. My experience with all the sponsors listed to the left has been excellent, except for one vendor several years ago (not named). I haven't ordered from that particular vendor and never consider what items they might offer.

A lot has to do with how the order is placed. Direct phone contact is probably best, generally. Fax is probably next best to prevent confusion. Some of the vendors have very good internet ordering capability, but not all. You just have to figure out the best way to get the service you require.

Stan

Date: February 26, 2006 12:57AM

Stan,

I hear you. Except that some vendors may have specific items not available elsewhere. In that case, one may decide to either run the gauntlet in a manner of speaking, or just find an alternative.

Mo

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:05AM

Rod building is a unique hobby. There are not enough builders in this world to support one fortune 500 company. It would be great if we could drive to our local strip mall and go into the" rod building is us store" but at this point it does not exist. We can't see or touch what we want until we place an order with a dealer that we haven't even seen. We are working with small companies that entertain low profit margins. If rod companies follow suit with other buisnesses is the 21st century, the ones with the largest inventories and the best customer service will prevail. It is going to take some time however, so maybe we can show a little patience.

Date: February 26, 2006 02:14AM

Tom, interesting that you'd mention a large company as a possible end point in the evolution of dealers. Of all the tackle company I've dealt with (admittedly a small segment) Cabela's is by far the best in customer service and information per my experience. For example, when I needed a guide spacing, they immediately patched me over to a service agent who went to pull a particular rod, and measured all the guide spacing. Recently, my boys received a couple of gift vests that we had to exchange and I mentioned in passing as I was asking about some superlines that I still had a couple of spools of unused lines that I purchased from them almost 3 years ago. Without any prompting, she invited me to send those back for credit although I really think that is way past reasonable return dates. Too bad they are not a sponsor here as they do carry rodbuilding parts.

Mo

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 03:07AM

Customer service and inventory are on top of my list. I make a lot of purchases via the web and I recently
made a purchase of some B thread from a sponsor recommended by the person I do some business with.
He was out of stock at the moment and said he got his thread from them so thats where I went.
Well, I did receive my order in reasonal time but never got conformation or notice about it being shipped. I
was about to call them to see about the order and it arrive. Next time I order from them I will do it by phone.
Some companies are better via the web than others.
They may loose some of my business because I am a night owl and cant call them at 1:00am but I can
place an order with someone else on-line who will repsond via email or call me if there is a concern.

The first time I have a bad experience with a supplier in regards to service it is the last. No exceptions!
Nobody's perfect and stuff happens but if they don't communicate or make an attempt to fix the problem
I'm done with them!

While the smaller mom & Pop outfits do not always have the inventory they do go out of there way to service there
customers and I applaud them. The best service I have ever received was from the smaller businesses so
I tend to stick with them whenever possible.

Mark & Collen,
Keep up the good work!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:28AM

I have ordered from some of the suppliers on this site. I have nothing but praise for these guys. Like others have mentioned, I do not place orders over the inter net. I for myself want to talk to someone to establish a working Raipur. This is a necessity for a new to rod builder. Some new builders do not understand what it takes to get the right components for the rod they are building. YOU CAN SEE THIS BY SOME OF THE QUESTIONS ASKED ON THIS SITE. By talking with some one about your needs and what type of fishing you will be using a certain rod for, my change some of the component parts you need. So talk it over with a supplier. By talking with a expert supplier may save you heart burn. Just my 2 cents
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:14AM

Mo,

The problem with a site where a dealer's "performance" could be rated, is that you would be hard pressed to trust any of the ratings. There are too many companies who will slip in and "put the bad word" on a competitor, or customers who were actually the ones at fauilt and would use such a site in the wrong way. We have had some sponsors here who have been blackmailed by cusotmers who have told them things like, "If you don't sell me this item for less I'm going to go on Rodbuilding.org and ruin you!"

Frankly, I take the glowing reviews with about the same skepticism as I do the poor reviews. And, if you're going to have customers rate the dealer's performance, you'll likewise need to let the dealers rate the customer's performance. There are guys who make the rounds obtaining items from dealers and then stopping payment on their checks, not paying their open accounts for years at a time, using stolen or fraudulent credit cards, etc. Fraud on the part of many rod builders, who steal from the dealers with any number of clever ruses, is far more common than you would believe. I have to deal with it here at RodMaker every single day. You cannot believe what some of these guys are doing to us all.

This has been a great discussion and I think Jeff, and all of you, have brought up things that more dealers need to consider in order to stay in the good graces of the rod builders (and if they're wise business people, they'll make the needed changes). By the same token, I do want this site to stay out of the realm of personal reviews on dealers for at least some of the reasons I've just mentioned. By and large, those companies who don't provide good service and concern for the customer will be weeded out by a market place that chooses to buy elsewhere.

As always, if any of the sponsors are actually engaged in anything bordering on fraud - I want to know about it. In the end, poor customer service is just poor business practice. But fraud and that type of thing, is downright illegal and I won't have any company that operates in that way on the sponsor list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 06:22AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: February 26, 2006 01:14PM

I believe if anyone has experienced a case of fraud from a vendor they should contact Tom Kirkman directly. By doing it this way a problem can be correctly and if fraud is is proven A comment by Tom and the offended party would ave more credence, Just my 2 cents
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: jglenn (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 03:10PM

One I'll add ot the list of great vendors is Schneiders Rod shop

always great email commmunication

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 04:24PM

First, if you are a victim of online fraud you should report it directly to the federal authorities. Do a search for "internet fraud" and you'll find a few places where you can file a complaint. Second, call your credit card company and file a complaint with them to recoup you rmoney. You DID pay with a credit card didn't you?

The bottom line is don't do business with anyone that has not provided good service. If you don't like the way they do things, tell them. If they dont fix it then take your business elsewhere...

Lou

Posted by: mike taillefer (---.dsl.snfc21.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 06:18PM

I have 3 or 4 supliers i do business with and 99% of the time they have what i want. once in a while something goes wrong but they have been good about fixing things. if you are having trouble with somebody i would say look elsewhere, there are sponsors on the board that do a good job and want your business.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:48PM

I have gotten excellent service from all I have used. It is a busy season ! So a lot of things can go wrong.
Mo I think you are waiting way to long for your stuff. I would make a change. I always get an email that it has been received. Then a day or two later it is being filled. Then a day or two again being sent out.
I would be pulling my hair out, What I have left, if I were to wait months.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: February 26, 2006 11:41PM

Thanks guys for all the comments regarding my experience. I don't know what would constitute 'fraud' but the dealer never did say he was going to renege on my order. He just kept delaying it after the 1st month and I never got it by the 2nd month. By the way, the entire transaction was done by phone calls so I'm not sure that phone calls is necessarily better in my case.

Anyways, I'm still due some credit at that dealer but don't think I'll broach the subject given how mad he was that I would dispute the charges after 2 months had gone by with no products.

Thanks again to all for an informative thread. And appreciate the sense of empathy I felt.

Mo

Date: February 27, 2006 05:04AM

I made a mistake when I said I never order over the net. I was wrong! I have ordered over the net. Mud Hole, Net Craft and Andy Dear. In each case they called me or emailed me confirming that they received my order and each supplier stated when I should receive my order. I believe I received fantastic service. I stated earlier that a new builder should make a phone call and get acquainted with their supplier. This will help you and the supplier, this will insure you have ordered the correct parts. It also sets up a good relationship between you and your supplier
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 10:29AM

Give the good venders a chance they would love your business and treat you right. if not don't do business with them again. Mudhole has been great for me.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 07:04PM

Give us a try. We are new to the rodbuilding forum, but have been running a very succesful online rod, reel and tackle business for a number of years. (We are stricly retail and use Merrick as our wholesaler). We make no claims of perfection, but with the significant resources and inventory of Merrick behind us, we are able to fill 99% of the rod building component and supply orders 100% complete the first time. Very few back orders. Obviously, special orders are a different issue. If you have been happy with responses from Merrick and need a retailer that works closely with Merrick, give us a ring. We are working on the online portion of the site, but as I have read above and noticed, most people call and want to talk with a live person. We are here 8am-5pm EST.

Merrick has been pleased enough with how we work with retail customers they refer to us that the have put a link to our site on their site. One of only two or three, they have done this for.

Thanks,

Peter Maltby
www.ackfishing.com
See us at the top of the sponser list.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster