I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod Blank
Posted by: Charlie King (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 07:23PM

For surf fishing at Hatteras, I have built / rebuilt several 11-12 rods for 8 N Bait inclulding a couple of Breakaways. For my casting style, my favorite is still an old Pinnacle Zander Brody Absolute. I would estimate this is a medium fastness action. Can someone recommend a current reasonably priced blank with similar action. Thanks guys....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod Blank
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 09:58PM

Charlie,
A lot of the Vendors on this site have some but Mud Hole has some discounted blanks that look pretty good and Andy Dear has some that might fit your bill. Good Luck,

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: william Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 11:59AM

Charles, I have 2 lamiglas MH150 blanks new ,if your interested. William

Posted by: Charlie King (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 01:31PM

I have purchased several 8ft rods from Mudhole, but don't currently see any discontinued surf models that look interesting.

William, what are the specs on the lamimh150?

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 02:28PM

Charlie, I am a novice rodbuilder, but I have built two surf rods from Mudhole special surf blanks. Go to their website, and click on specials, then on "Rod Blank Specials" and then on "Surf Rocket Special Blanks."

The first one I built was the extra-heavy, 6-16 oz. heaver. Even though the conditions don't warrant using it much (and I knew that when I built it), I LOVE it, and the cost was about 1/3 of comparable extra-heavy heavers. I liked the finished rod so much I built another one, using the 10', 3-8 oz. fiberglass/graphite blank (a.k.a the Cape Canaveral Surf Rocket). I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet -- I built it this winter -- but I think that it's going to end up being my go-to surf rod. And this one, too, was a real bargain compared to what "name" manufacturers charge for similar blanks.

So I can heartily recommend Mud Hole's "special" surf blanks. Actually, when I was looking at them, I noticed the 11', 4-10 oz. That would make a nice addition to the arsenal....

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 07:19PM

Charlie -
I saw a blank at the show in Charlotte that is simply "magic" for the Point at Hatteras. It was the first one that I've seen - a true 8-12 oz "heaver" that will not over rotate your shoulder rotator cuff. I also had the opportunity to speak with the man (Tommy Wheeler ) who designed and is producing the blank. The blank is called "The Inferno". According to Tommy he wishes to supply these in limited numbers so he can keep quality control to his standards. What I particularly liked about the blank was the very thin butt section on an English style blank construction (4' butt and 8' tip for a 12 ' rod). The thin, very stiff butt section to me means a several things - a wider variety of reel seats and a blank thin enough that I can get my thumb back over to the spool of a conventional reel to stop 'overspin' and 'birds nesting'. I believe Ryan White at Hatteras Jack's has a limited number of them available. Unfortunately I don't know if they will fit your requirement for an inexpensive ("reasonable") blank - that rests on what you would consider a "reasonable" cost.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster