I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why should I buy a Renzetti?
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 07:08PM

Why should I buy a Renzetti rod lathe when I have a PacBay and am very happy with it. I build about 30 custom rods each year and do countless rod repairs. Never had a problem with the PacBay, but I don't know what I might be missing. Convince me why I should get a Renzetti and I will order one tomorrow. I'm just not sure what advantages it will provide. Thanks, all.

Scott Lewis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why should I buy a Renzetti?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 07:18PM

If I do will you send me the Pac Bay model??

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 07:46PM

Scott why would you want someone to convince you to buy something else if you are happy with what you have? I have said this a 1000 times if I have said it once "Dont fix something that isnt broken" I have both a Rensetti and a Custom Powerwrap(Most economical model) and I like them both almost the same. Actually the in some cases prefer the Powerwrap because it is easier to back up if I over wrap the flat work. This another one of those which is best traps. Dont play.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 08:58PM

I own and use the Flex-Coat SW-1 hand wrapper and am happy with it. This is the model with wheels instead of v-posts. If you build around 30 rods a year, I dont see the need for a power wrapper at all. Of course, this is only my opinion so it means very little to one who likes a power wrapper. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 09:49PM

I have often wondered the same thing Scott. I know the turning motor is much stronger allowing you to turn cork and do some shaping to foam. The thread carriage seems to be much more stable and able to hold 8 plus spools. The chuck appears to be of better quality as well. Aside from that, I am not sure. I have seen them up close but never wrapped on one. One adjustement will be having the thread come from the back and over top of the blank rather then from in front and under.

Ralph, I can't help but ask, what type of rods are you building that you think 30 by hand is doable? I would jump off a building before I wrapped by hand, but most of my rods are long surf rods or medium to heavy salt water stuff.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas55.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 09:59PM

Because you have money and need to buy an expensive toy to play with ??? LOL

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:04PM

I would like to have one, but the first power wrapper I bought was the OEM Flexcoat and I sure hate to change a good machine for another good machine. I don't combine dirty work and clean work (guess I don't clean up well......too lazy......) I have even built a separate dirty room for my wook lathe and cork work and painting. Guess I am too compulsive about clean vs dirty work in rod building. Just me though. This probally doesn't help, but good luck anyway.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:43PM

I am happy with my Chevrolet. Convince me why I should buy a BMW. They both do the same thing. don't they?

I think you need to convince yourself - if you can't, then stay with what you have. If you find areas on your present maching that you don't like or think could be better, then move up.

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 11:37PM

Maybe I should have phrased the question differently: What advantages does the Renzetti have over the PacBay Rodsmith? Then I would have had more responses similar to Shawn's which describe the advantages. When I started wrapping by hand I didn't feel that a power wrapper was necessary at all. Now I find the power wrapper to be indispensable. I just wanted to see if I am missing out on anything that could increase my efficiency or give me added options.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 12:52AM

At 30 rods a year I was still hand wrapping on special wheels and that is with all the bells an whistles. The Rensetti is more powerful and stable than virtually all other machines and if you were doing more rods I would highly recommend it. The Self centering chuck is great and speeds set up a little too. If you got the bucks you can always grow into it.

Doc

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 02:16AM

Doc has given you some excellant advice. I had my RodSmith (Pac Bay) for at least seven years and at 480 plus custom rods and lot of repair rods befor I got my Renzetti. I like bot. What I first liked about the Renzetti was the chuck and the multiple thread carrage that is easy to remove from the track. Have sence modified my RodSmith (Pac Bay) with a lager motor, a new head chuck that is avaliable from Pac Bay. I have also modidied the thread carrige to handle multi thread spools. Like what othere have mentioned. Purchase what your needs well fill
Good Wraps Bob Just my 2 cents

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 07:52AM

It's a personal thing ! The machine is Not going to make you a better builder !! If you think it will help you out --- get it ???

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 04:51PM

I simply like fine machinery. I find great satisfaction in using excellent tools of any type. This pleasure is like icing on the cake. When I started out I found a used Clemens Lathe. I later discovered I paid more than it was actually worth and had to upgrade the Thread Carriage and add more Rod Supports and still have more upgrades in mind. But, everytime I use it is a joy. Even just looking at it on my work table is a joy! I get a kick knowing that this is an original Clemens even if the bed and headstock are not shiny new.

In the long run a couple of hundred dollars difference in the price of a lathe is insignificant. Go with what gives you the best results and comfort of use and has any added value to you personally. Frankly, I would like to get a spanking new Renzetti if and when I can justify it. Ihave too much invested in this old Clemens to sell it without taking a bath. And yet, if I had a chance to start over I would either do it again or buy a new Renzetti basic unit and keep adding to it.

As for practical advantage... I wil echo those already mentioned. Then add the Tail Stock, Tool Rest, Turning capability, and ease of operation. The unit is absolutely bulletproof and gorgeous, even if it looks well used! I mounted mine on a 1"X 6" clear Red Oak board with a light stain. The Clemens has 4' beds so mine is set up at 8'. I have a separtate 4' bed with aits own 1"X 6" mounting board ready to attach if needed. The extra bed makes a great second hand wrapping station.

I am just th etyoe whgo would rather buy one very fine coat than three mediocre coats. I get pelasure from high quality items. It is not for status or show.. it is for my own appreciation.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:32AM

heck I can under stand that. if I had the money and room, I would have two or even three.

Posted by: Rich Kline (---.newark-19-20rs.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 02:42PM

They last the test of time, I had my Renzetti, since 1981, It still performs great.

Regards
Rich

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.an2.dca16.da.uu.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:13PM

I bought a Renzetti because I read so many glowing reviews AND many, many builders said it would "last a lifetime." It was a lot of money, but I am I glad I took the plunge.

With this lathe I can bore the cork rings, turn my grips, and wrap and dry the rod. It's a rock solid platform for adding decals and putting on trim bands. I can wrap one guide when I have 10 minutes to kill, not look at the rod for a week (which happens all too often), then jump right back into another guide with less than a minute of setup time. I think it was a great investment, and one of my boys will probably end up being glad I bought it when I can no longer wrap.

Heck, if you decide you don't like it, in 10 years you can sell it for about what you paid for it. Try that with a less expensive rod wrapper....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster