I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

foam handle
Posted by: Doug Raymond (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 03:46PM

How do I remove the handle and reel seat to replace broken seat? Also how would I size the seat for replacement?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: foam handle
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 05:28PM

Method #1
Cut the rod and reel seat in two pieces at the middle of the seat. Apply some heat to help in
loosening the epoxy and remove both seat parts. Install new seat and piece of scrap blank
or pipe to rejoin to two halves back together.

Method #2
cut across the seat lengthwise with dremel or hacksaw being careful not to damage blank.
Pry seat apart with screwdriver or similar tool. Cover rear grip with a plastic bag and submerge
in boiling water for a couple of minutes and attempt to remove from rear of rod. ( tried this and
was unsuccessful, had to cut foam off) Install new seat and rear grip from rear. ( you will have to use a larger diameter seat and arbors.

Method # 3
Strip off guides and using heat and a lot elbow grease remove the seat and grips and re-build.

Do a search here and you'll get additional methods and more detailed ins ructions.

Good Luck!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: russell mcgraw (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 08:44PM

i've used method #2 a couple of times (and the boiling didn't work for me either).

use the dremel cutoff discs to cut the foam in squares, being careful to not score the blank and use pliers to pull as much of the foam off as possible.

then use the grinding wheel to get the rest, or as much as possible, off the blank.
then install seat and handle. not too bad a job. just messy and time consuming....

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas55.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:15PM

Try a search of this board for a detailed description of no 1 Should save you a lot of time.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:23PM

i have cut them off in chunks.it is time consuming for sure.almost easier and more effecient to start with a new blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas55.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:31PM

Or a new seat and a cork handle

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 25, 2006 04:29PM

I've always had good luck using a razor blade on EVA. Slices right off.

Jay

Posted by: Doug Raymond (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:26PM

Well I have the foam handle and seat off, how do I clean the glue resedue left from the handle? Also what does everyone think about a corktape handle? And recommendations on a seat. This is going to be just a pier rod with a Penn 930 also eylet recommendations please.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster