I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Cork / Wood Grips
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:41AM

Guys-
What process do you use when turning cork and wood for eventual combination into a finished grip.

Do you turn them as one on a mandrel? Does this cause a issue with the cork reducing in size quicker than the wood leaving you with a bumpy profile?

Do you turn them seperately? How do you get the cork and wood to match so perfectly and in alignment when the final assembly is made?

What tricks have you picked up that make it go smoother for you?

Thanks again,

Domenic Federico

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Cork / Wood Grips
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:50AM

I glue the whole thing up using a clamp and turn it as one unit using a mandrel. I shape the cork with a rasp and the wood with a skew. Contrary to most recommendations you'll see here, I would urge you not to use a spindle gouge on the wood. A skew leaves a vastly superior finish on the wood. It takes a bit of practice, but it is really worth it. When I did the first one, I was worried about the cork and wood combination but it turned out to be no big deal, just take your time and be careful.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 11:58AM

I turn the wood down to where I want it first. I use a small gouge I use for pen turning and seem to get a good finish. I rouge sand it with 100 then 220. I mount the wood on the mandrel and glue it up when I glue up my cork. I use 100 grit sand paper to bring the cork down close to where I want it but still larger in diameter than the wood. I then switch to lighter paper 220/320/400/600 and 1200. I sand both the cork and wood down to 400...then use the 600 & 1200 on the wood to polish it up. I carefully apply finish to the wood while on the lathe...sometimes depending on what type of finish I use i will mask the cork off with masking tape.

I don't ever use anything but sand paper to bring down the cork....it comes off too quick IMO and once it is gone you can't put it back.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:32PM

Joe, are you using regular cork or burl cork? I only use Andy's exotic cork which is definitely tougher than ordinary cork. Trying to do that cork with just sandpaper would take hours. Using a skew on the wood, I typically start sanding at 320. The exception to using a skew is when I'm turning burl or plastic, then I use a round nose scraper.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:51PM

I glue the prebored cork and wood together as one unit as Gerry does and turn it down with with lathe tools within about three or four mm's of the final size. I then take a strip of 80 or 100 grit dry wall sanding mesh approximately two inches wide an remove enough material to eliminate torn areas in the cork or tool marks in the wood. From there I sand from 150 grit all of the way to 2000 grit. I will use a sanding block at times to assure even removal from the wood and cork but once you get a feel for it you can bring the surface down even with a two inch strip of sand paper. Depending on the wood you usually need to sand with the grain as part of the process from 220 grit to 600 grit to eliminate sanding marks. This will be a judgement call. I recently turned a reel seat out of a wood that could be completely sanded while turning on the lathe and had no sanding marks showing.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 03:19PM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:56PM

I clamp all pieces together on all thread. When dry, I remount to one of Andy's mandrels. I take the whole piece to an equal circumference using 60 grit on a sanding block. Then I rough shape using 80 grit on a sanding block or wood dowel for the concave sections depending on the grip shape. When it is rough shaped, I switch over to free handing with progressively finer grit. I've found that if I go slow and carefull, letting the paper do the work and checking often, I don't get scalloping.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 03:43PM

Jerry....I'm just using regular cork..I understand Andy's cork is nice and will probably try some...from what I hear it is much more dense than natural cork.

Stan...Is your wood already round when you glue it up? I am turning square wood to round then gluing it up.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 04:27PM

I have my wood rounded to approximately 1 1/4 " prior to glueing to approximately match the cork diameter.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 05:19PM

Thanks guys! You're a valuable resource that I depend on!

Domenic Federico

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster