I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using Fuji 5.5 fly for UL spin
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 03:15AM

Any reason not to use Fuji Size 5.5 fly guides for UL spinning rods?

I think these are the smallest guides fuji makes and sure seems like it would be fine for UL spinning lines.

Thanks in advance,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using Fuji 5.5 fly for UL spin
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 08:34AM

will work great

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 24, 2006 08:58AM

Chances are, Mo, you'll never need to pass a leader knot or line swivel thru those guides, so these 5.5MM BLG's should be just fine.

FUJI BLG Hardloy Single-Foot, Single-Leg FLY Guide
SIZE: OD / ID
5.5MM: 5.3mm / 3.5mm
6.0MM: 6.1mm / 4.1mm

Fuji BLG 5.5MM FLY Guides would be a fine choice,
regarding ring size, guide weight & height for the
tip section of an UL rod. IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Here is a LINK for the FUJI Line Guide "Ring Size Chart",
with Diameters. ... It is a one-page *.PDF File that has
ring sizes from 2.5mm up to 50mm, for all ring & flange
styles, and lists OD, ID and WIDTH.
-Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas

FUJI Ring SIZE Chart is available at: [www.anglersresource.net]
[www.anglersresource.net]

FUJI Ring HEIGHTS can be found at: [www.fujitackle.com]
[www.fujitackle.com]

Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 10:51AM

The 5.5 size is available in Titanium frame with SiC ring (TSG - $5.00 each) and also Titanium with a Gold Cermet ring (TIGG- $10.00 each). They are both available from sponsors on the left. This super light-weight guides really make a difference on UL rods, more so than with larger rods, especially near the tip. For me, the most important component on the UL rod is the tip. It must be the lightest material possible so as not to affect the action of the blank. I would recommend TFST or TLST (both available in ring size 5 and 5.5). Spend more on the tip and you wont regret it - especially on an ultra-light.
Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2006 04:16PM by Scott Lewis.

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.health.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:23PM

Fuji also makes a 5mm guide with a titanium frame and a tip-top of the same size and material which works great on this small rod. I used TATSG guides for the first few larger guides and then 5's the rest of the way to the tip and the rod is still very light and responsive. Just perfect for 2# test line and 1/24-1/32oz lures. The only downside is the first TATSG 25mm guide cost more than the blank and the reel seat. Don't care though, it is a sweet setup.
Have fun

Date: February 24, 2006 06:15PM

Wow, you guys are great.

Cliff by the way, not sure how you find time to be so generous with your time with the personal e-mails too (redundant statement...)

Scott, it seems to be that if one wants the lightest tips, there are two options lighter than the titanium tip tops:

1. Recoils. less than half the weight of the titanium SICs.
2. Wrap a titanium SIC guide for the tip and save almost half the weight too. (I think the glue probably cancels wrap and light coat.)

I had not idea that there was even 5mm as I did not see it listed on my catalog. That is small indeed.

Mo

Date: February 24, 2006 06:16PM

Wow, you guys are great.

Cliff by the way, not sure how you find time to be so generous with your time with the personal e-mails too (redundant statement...)

Scott, it seems to be that if one wants the lightest tips, there are two options lighter than the titanium tip tops:

1. Recoils. less than half the weight of the titanium SICs.
2. Wrap a titanium SIC guide for the tip and save almost half the weight too. (I think the glue probably cancels wrap and light coat.)

I had not idea that there was even 5mm as I did not see it listed on my catalog. That is small indeed.

Mo

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 10:07PM

For me ,for UL spinning rods the best guides find in U.S.A. are PACIFIC BAY model M (BMHG-black frame HIALOY ring,GMHG-gold frame HIALOY ring and CMSG TICH frame with SIC ring).The ring I.D. for BMHG O4,GMHGO4,CMSG04=2.5mm.(0.098inch.).
This guides have lighter weight for increases sensitivity,high frame reduce line contact with blank,while smaller ring helps to strip line from reel more eficiently for increase casting distance.

Jean Scurtu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster