I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fresh water blank suggestions
Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.124.35.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:02PM

Hello All, I am going to build some fresh water trout rods. I am looking for a 6'6" 2 piece blank. I will be using 2-6 lb test mostly 4lb and the jig/lure weight will be 1/32-1/4. I am looking for a fast/ultra fast action blank with power between UL and light. Anyone know of any under rated UL blanks or or over rated light power blanks?
Thanks, Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fresh water blank suggestions
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:39PM

hello Ed theres plenty to choose from you might want to check out some fly rod blanks i build trout rods out of em all the time and most are fast action make for a nice light rod and plenty available worth a check anyway tight wraps ............Rob

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:17AM

Might look at the St Croix SC II 2S66ULF-2.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:51AM

U/L spinning blanks are hard to find with a fast action but you can find fly rod blanks
that may foot the bill!
Look at the Tiger-Eye blanks by Sevier. A great value!
Also look at the Batson/Forcast blanks. Also a great blank and value!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 24, 2006 01:02AM

BATSON RAINSHADOW
RX-7 GRAPHITE (43 million Modulus)
IS-78-1-F 6'6" 2-piece.
Olive Green / Matte Clear finish.
2-6 lb 1/16 - 1/4 oz.
Butt 0.300" Tip 4.5 / 64ths
Moderate Action Extra-Lite Power
Weight 0.78 oz
$45.00 - Matte Clear
$31.50 - Olive Green, on Close-Out IS-78-1FG

BATSON RAINSHADOW
RX-6 GRAPHITE (33 million Modulus)
SP-78-1-2 6'6" 2-piece.
Clear Gloss finish.
2-6 lb 1/16 - 1/4 oz.
Butt 0.351" Tip 4.0 / 64ths
Moderate Action Extra-Lite Power
Weight 1.10 oz $19.

These RAINSHADOWS can be ordered at
www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
Robert Tignor
Best Bet / Home Office: (804) 746-9711

It "seems" that Ultra-Lite graphite rods in that long a rod blank as 78" (6'6") simply do NOT come in a taper-action of FAST, never mind EXTRA Fast, as you indicated. MECHANICALLY, I suspect that it must be VERY difficult to reliably build a 6'6" UL 2-6# rod blank with a very FAST action. The thing would probably snap like a burnt twig every time you set the hook on an outsized fish, or snagged the bottom. So, consider relaxing the TAPER-ACTION parameter a bit. Or, if you do find a fast/extra-fast taper UL 78" 2-pc rod blank, it may cost you quite a bit more than what a perfectly competent RainShadow would cost you. IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++

The SPECS on these two rods are very close, but $50 v. $19.

St Croix SC II Model #: PS-6'6"-UL-F-2pc.
==> MudHole #: 2S-6'6"-UL-F-2pc --> $50.

BATSON RAINSHADOW
RX-6 GRAPHITE (33 million Modulus)
SP-78-1-2 6'6" 2-pc ==> $19 at FishSticks4U

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 24, 2006 08:42AM

With rods this long, and a good reel, you can often use either an UL or a L power rod. Most of my experience is with St. Croix blanks (usually SCIII), and I like the L power better than the UL. The UL blanks seem way too light to do much of anything, except for tiny treble-hooked plugs. If you're using small marabou jigs or something else that you do need to set a hook with, the ULs just don't have enough power in the butt (for my taste anyway). The L power, on the other hand, can easily handle the tiny stuff , and the blanks have enough power in the butt to set a hook from some distance. Just my $0.02 worth.

I use my 3S66LF for trout fishing with 4lb. line and 1/16 oz. marabou jigs. Then, I change the line to 6lb., and use the same rod to throw 1/8 oz. grubs for bass. The rod has enough finesse and power to handle either application.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 01:31PM

St. Croix SCII or SCIII, both are great choices.

Buzz

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 02:39PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will check them all out. I do plan to use jigs, so the moderate action is out. The blanks looked good on paper to me are the St Croix 2S66LF2, the Rogue SP66322, the Pac Bay Pro PRSB842-2 and the Shikari SH 601. Ed

Date: February 25, 2006 09:46AM

WELL, thanks, Ed, for letting us know what you felt were the more suitable rod blanks for your application, ... Even if you did leave out the details. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Ed Grella (69.37.206.---)
Date: February 25, 2006 11:24AM

Cliff, I said" looked good on paper". This is why I asked for suggestions from some more experienced builders that may have wrapped a blank with the fast action that I am looking for. I have two old Fenwick HMG's that I wrapped in the early 90's which have moderate action and I want a faster blank. Thanks again to all,for your suggestions! I will give the St Croix 3S66LF a shot, it seems like the popular choice for my needs! Ed

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (147.145.40.---)
Date: February 25, 2006 03:06PM

The nice thing about St Croix is it's usually not to difficult to check what you get with a finished rod at a store close by.

Date: February 25, 2006 07:56PM

St Croix SC-II Graphite Spinning Rod Blanks
SC-Model #: PS-6'6"-UL-F-2pc.
MudHole #: 2S-6'6"-UL-F-2pc --> $50.
Trout / Panfish ... Gloss Black Pearl Finish
Length: 6'6" ... 2-piece
Line: 2-6 lb ... Lure: 1/32 - 3/16 oz.
Butt 0.310" ... Tip 4.5 / 64ths
FAST Action ... Ultra-Lite Power
Weight 1.10 oz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster