I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7 wt. opinions - SCV, RX8+, or FT
Posted by: Brian Peck (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 07:44PM

I'm planning to build a 7 wt. for light saltwater use - school sized stripers in the northeast. I've narrowed my choices to 3 blanks - St. Croix SCV, Batson RX8+, and the Dan Craft FT. From doing some searches on the site it seems like I can't go wrong with any of them. So, at this point I'm looking for opinions from people who have fished these rods and might be able to describe some of the differences between them so I can make a final choice. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7 wt. opinions - SCV, RX8+, or FT
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 09:51PM

I have not used them, but I did use a StCroix SCIV 7wt 4 piece and I love it. I like the fast action on it.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:21PM

FT!

Tremendous.....

I'll admit I haven't cast the other two (had a St. Croix 7 wt ,Ultra that I quite liked....FT is much, much better!) (also have built several rods on Batson RX7 blanks...Fly and casting...all very nice)...I just really like the FT 7 wt!

Tremendous....Or did I say that.

Keith

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 10:14AM

Brian,
I have not cast the RX8+ or the DC FT, but I have built & cast a few SCV's. The SCV's are fabulous casting machines. Light, fast, and powerful. The only drawback is the finish. Its pretty, but soft. Scratches and nicks easily. I built an SCV 10 wt, 2 years ago for a friend who fishes it 5 days a year for kings in AK. I've known this guy for 20 years, and know how he handles and cares for his equipment. For the money ($250), I would have expected the finish on these blanks to be better. They may have changed the composition of the finish in the last 2 years. I dont know. I have several of the Batson blanks and DC SIG III's. Unless I hear IMO, I would chose either of these over the SCV.
RB

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 03:32PM

Rx8+ is a bit lighter and also slightly slower action than the FT, although it is still a fast action rod. Probably a bit 'crisper' in hand than a FT.

The FT throws a great long line but I found that I had trouble getting mine to load up quickly for the real long shots...eg took two or three false casts and shoots as opposed to one or two with a slower action rod. The FT has the backbone to land any fish that you might hook into. My 908-4 threw an Airflo DI-7 pretty well, and really shined out past 60'. I'm sure if I had uplined it a bit, it would've loaded quicker close in. Also very durable...I treat that rod like crap and it's still ticking.

One that you didn't mention but might want to look at is the 1007-3V. That thing generates some sick line speed, is extremely lightweight and crisp, and loads up as well at 10' as at 100'. The only thing I'd worry about with it is the durability...a 1/0 Deceiver could make short work of the thin walls. Same would probably go for the Rx8+ or SCV.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 03:53PM

I use a 7 weight FT and I can tell you a couple of things not related to casting. I noticed that has already been discussed.

First, it is beefy for a rod in its class. To the point where I use my Ross Big Game to balance it out. I have shown it to a number of professional guides and some rod builders (some people were both) and they all commented that it was a robust 7 weight. I throw 8 weight line no problem when the need arises.

Second, it sure feels durable, Dan Craft tells me it is his most durable blank, and I have never marred the finish while doing a lot of fishing out of boats.

I know the SCV but not the Rx8+. I use my 7 weight FT wherever convetional wisdom would dictate an 8 weight. In fact, I now live in the mid-Atlantic and plan on building an 8 weight to use for Stripers, er excuse me, Rockfish. Please take these two shiny pennies.

Tony Scott

Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.gci.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:08AM

All three are excellent, the SC V (4wt) I built had the same soft finish as described above, but is a great feeling blank. The RX8+ I built (4wt) is a bit slower action than my FT, but feels lighter and a bit crisper. The finish on the RX8+ falls somewhere between the SC V and the FT. The FT is the the most powerful of the 3.

For my money I would go with the RX8+ (I just like this rod) with the FT and SC V a very close second. If price is a matter the FT can't be beat. If feel is everything I like the SC V and the RX8+. Making this choice requires a 3 sided coin.

Regards,

Posted by: Brian Peck (---.putnaminv.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 08:39AM

Guys, thanks for the information. Think the RX8+ will be my choice. I was leaning toward the SCV originally but the finish has me a bit worried - I fish from a kayak so rods can get bounced around a bit. The FT sounds like it will be a bit more rod than I need (although I suppose I could drop a line size) - I'm going to be replacing my current 9 wt. and I might have to try the FT for that.

Thanks again,
Brian

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 11:36AM

Please feel free to elaborate on the RX8+. I have been thinking about trying a Rainshadow blank.

Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster