I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Size Confusion
Posted by: Todd Theodore (69.4.4.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:08AM

I recently posted a question concerning size and number of inserted single foot fly guides and strippers. The info I got is confusing. If I'm building a 9' - 4pc. - 5 wt- how many stripper guides do I need? I was told 2 stripperrs and 6's the rest of the way. But, from some guide size and spacing charts from seasoned builders, they say use 1 stripper guide. Should I then use a 7 with 6's the rest? Confused.

Thanks,

Todd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Size Confusion
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:38AM

The first guide is the only stripper guide. You can only have one per rod.

As for how many ceramic guides you may want to use, most companies use 2, although some very light line rods use only 1 and then move directly to snake guides.

On a 5-weight type rod I would typically do something like this - SVSG 12 - SVSG 10 and then LSG 6's on out.

The best thing for you to do, is tape up various sets and satisfy your own curiosity.

Posted by: jim hasl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:49AM

Thanks for asking this question Todd. I too find the "basics" confusing as the well intended advice from experienced rod builders is often conflicting. I'm new to rod building (now working on #2) and have found the planning stage to be fun albeit time consuming pouring over catalogues, re-reading Tom's book, watching this site daily for new or relevant tips.

Tom – here’s an idea for the 2007 Charlotte show – perhaps a full day hands-on boot camp for rod building rookies. It could run the day before the show opens to not take away from exhibitors and show seminars.

I took a class here locally (NYC) in January but was disappointed in that the curriculum lacked any real depth. I got much more accomplished through reading your book and staying current with this site. A boot camp would be a great way to grow interest in rod building and I would think that many of the site’s sponsors would want to support and invest in such a program. What a great way for a company to introduce itself to new customers.

It would also provide you with an additional revenue stream at the show, help expand the show audience and deliver additional value to your sponsors.

Jim

Date: February 22, 2006 12:17PM

Jim,

For the third year running, such a seminar on basics is being presented. It is based on the information presented in the book.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 12:30PM

Todd,

It would be nice if everyone even agreed on the 'type' of guide to put on a fly rod. Even experienced builders don't. While I won't build a rod with anything but ceramic insert guides, others will only use such guides for strippers, then go to snakes for the remainder.

Sizing of the guides is the same. Some builders prefer larger guides, others prefer smaller.

So, when you ask about guides and sizings, you will always get contrary advice on a forum like this.

It IS a choice, of course, as all of the ways currently being used do work well enough to be fishing with.

So, with my two cents worth, here's what I'd do on a rod such as yours.

I'd use all ceramic insert single foot guides. The first, or 'stripper' would be a #8. I'd put a #7 four inches above it as a 'tamer' guide. There is controversy here, as some find no benefit from it, and others feel it is very helpful. I beleive it helps, the albeit unscientific testing I've done suggests it does make for smoother casts and better line management. You can leave it out if you want. If you decide to use it, place it AFTER you've set up the spacings, it's an 'extra' guide, not part of the stress distribution. After that, all 6's to the tip.

Good Luck with however you decide to build YOUR rod.

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: jim hasl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 12:57PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim,
>
> For the third year running, such a seminar on
> basics is being presented. It is based on the
> information presented in the book.
>
> .............

Thanks Tom. I was thinking of something that would expand on the hour-long basic seminar listed in the schedule. Something that takes a full day, includes multiple presenters, includes hands-on activities for newbies, allows time for interaction with presenters, class members, sponsors. This, of course, would be supplemental to the show itself. The listed seminar schedule looks great but some of the topics are beyond my abilities for now. A day just on the basics with other newcomers would be fun. All that said, you're only one person and this show must require enormous effort on your part. Perhaps some of the sponsors might be interested in putting together such a day -- of course with your input and oversight. Just a thought.

Jim

Date: February 22, 2006 02:09PM

Well, it's not at all a bad idea, but between the seminars we have now and all the rod builders there, I think you would be very surprised at how your level of rod building experience would skyrocket in just one day. There is plenty of help available and the basics are covered very well. Much of what would be covered in a seperate day long event would be redundant.

I'm assuming you didn't attend either of the last two years? I think you would be very happy with what you'd learn at the event. From an educational standpoint, even regarding the basics, It's much more than you may suspect.

In the meantime I will take your suggestion under advisement and kick it around with some of the people at the show this weekend. There are some definite possibilities in your suggestion. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster