I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how long
Posted by: andy blake (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 10:42PM

just out of curiosity how long does some of the weave designs take and is there a certain tool that ill need.... thanks again guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how long
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 11:14PM

I believe Jim Upton said that he had over 60 hours in his "Baby Dragon head" I'm not a weaver but I do know that you will need a weave ing jig/loom

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: andy blake (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 11:20PM

i saw that i think its one of the best i have seen..and is it actually done on the pole or like cross stiching and cut out the laid on it..sorry im new to the thread sesigns...

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 11:58PM

These should give you some idea of what's involved!!! Weaving is an art all in itself. It is done on the rod and is totally different than crosswraps

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Doc Ski has a super DVD out on weaving

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 02:43AM

And if you want to start weaving may I recomend starting out doing letters. Pattern weaving is a labor of love and not speed. I have a friend that weaves patterns 180 of each other. In pattern weaving there are lots of threads to count and turn to count
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2006 08:36AM

Much of the time spent in weaving is in the set up. How long it takes to do one really depends on the pattern and how involved it is.

You can "get by" with double sided tape to hold the threads, but some sort of jig or loom makes things so much easier. Jim Upton is the inventor of the Wonder Weaver which is more capable than any other weaving device. There is also a new jig on the very market, very inexpensive, that will be in Charlotte this weekend at the National Rod Builders Show. I hope the maker will soon join us as a sponsor here on this site. I think his device will answer the call for all those who want to get their feet wet in weaving but can't afford to spend the money on the top of the line Wonder Weaver.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 02:08PM

Andy; The Baby Dragon head took a little over 90 hours to complete. That's an exception to what most will take. A weave like that one had never been done before and with good reason if you are trying to make a living building rods. Not many clients would pay the price for it. I don't have to make a living at it and love what I do and have the time to do it. It's art for the sake of the art. There are two articles on weaving in back issues of RodMaker magazine, Basic weaving in Vol. 5 Issue #4 and Color Change Weaving in Vol. 6 Issue # 5. Both have plenty of pictures and should give you a good idea of what takes place in the process. It's not hard once you understand the basics. There is probably more to making a good pattern than doing the weaving. A poorly done pattern will produce a poor weave where a well done pattern will produce a much better finished product and will be actually easier to weave without producing built in gaps that have to be dealt with in the finished weave.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 02:21PM

Jim,
My hat is off to you, and several of the other weavers as well, for the work that you have done to advance the art. We can all admire your work and use it as a yard stick for measuring our own efforts. Thank you.
Your Baby Dragon is especially impressive. I think that I have gone back and looked at it at least 10 times.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2006 03:02PM

Hi Andy
If you have seen some of my old weaves they are mostly 10 to 14 hour jobs. Of course not all at once but the best I can figure it is the actual working time. The patterns take upwards of 8 hours too if you make a left list. Some work right off the grid and that alone can take several hours. Loading the jigs can run several hours also. By the time all is said and one you might be looking at 30 hours to do an action fish pattern. The main key to weaving I believe is PATIENCE, You cannot whip these types of patterns out in a few hours. It is a labor of love but difficult to get what it is worth monetarily. Good Luck.

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.212.158.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 04:18PM

Andy,
Take it up and go with it. Take your time and jump into the deep end. Try and remain clear of metalic thread at first until you get the feel as you may pull the foil off. Doc and Jim are the worlds best at this, these two guys are the most helpful and talented guys around also they help anyone. They helped me and still do.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 09:20PM

There is another of the half dozen best weavers in the world and also a first class gentleman, Doc Ski, checking in.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 01:23AM

I believe James(Doc) Labanowski well be at the Woodland WA rod get together in April. Doc it will be a pleasure to meet and learn from you, Also maybe we can share a cool one. The water in Woodland is noted for its special taste. I also hope you are going to bring some of your fantastic thread work and patterns with you
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster