I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blotch's Blotch's and more Blotch's
Posted by: Steve Kemmerer (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 09:26PM

I'm just about at wits end. I have just finished a rod using Guderbod 5896 Dark Green thread and have had two sets of thread blotch a dark black in color. I removed the first set of thread after using two coats of Guderbrod color preserver and redid the second set of thread using four coats of Guderbrod CP. Needless to say after the removing the first set and redoing the second I burnished the heck out the thread the second time. I still got the blotches. Some were around the tunnel area of the guide and some were at the ends. Is there a possibility I'm using the CP too thick? After the first failure I thinned the CP somewhat.

Should the viscosity of the CP be thin enough that the thread soaks the CP into the thread enough to change color prior to drying or should the CP be thick enough to coat the threads similar to a varnish like treatment. (I hope that made sense). I find that I'm using a thickness that sometimes starts to coagulate before I've had the time to finish coating the complete section of thread I'm working on, usually one side of a guide.

If anyone has any information or advice on how I can alleviate this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blotch's Blotch's and more Blotch's
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2006 09:41PM

Thread only turns blotchy or dark for one of two reasons - epoxy got to it, or the thread wasn't packed tight/uniformly enough.

The CP should go on wet and cause the thread to turn uniformly dark. The color should come back up as it dries.

Gudebrod 811 is good stuff, albeit very inconsistent insofar as its viscosity. One coat is all that should be required, but you do want to make certain to get good coverage and not leave any open areas. I'd suggest moving to a straight acrylic CP just for the next set of wraps and see if you find it easier to work with. Use it full strength in one good wet coat. A second if it makes you feel better.

I have a suspicion that you just didn't get everything covered.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 09:55PM

Hello Steve
Using color preserver that has the solids coming out of solution could be the problem. This occurs due to sitting on the shelf to long and then not being mixed back in. Or there could be a contamination problem that prevents the color preserver from coating the threads. In either case to fix this problem first mix the color preserver and then try it on a scrap piece of rod over a test wrap using the same thread as used on your rod that you want to finish. It may just be that simple.
Blotches can be as a result of too much and varying tension on your thread while wrappng. Lighter color thread wraps are usually more liable to look "blotchie" due to varying excessive tension on the thread while wrapping. The darker threads such as 5896 will not be as sensitive tension.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.5.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 10:42PM

Are you packing tight enough ? Pushing the thread tightly together, If there are any gaps in between the thread the blank color will tend to show though and thus look blotchy.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 10:53PM

Tom and Joe: Are correct If C/P is a little thick you can thin it with a little denatured alcohol. If the C/P was not the problem then the thread was not packed tight enough. While wrapping the thread run your finger nail along the outside of the new thread as you turn the rod, shoving the new wrap tight against the previous wrap. Then burnish the total wrap, make sure you burnish towards the beginning of the wrap.
Goog Wraps Bob

Posted by: daniel minsker (---.satsop-1.reachoneinternet.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 11:00PM

i noticed the same thing and it had to do with the closeness i brought the flame for the bubble issue. i got the flame to close and it gave me a black swirl like blotch drove me crazy. i tried it on some dummy rods and it made the same black blotchs when the flame got to close

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 11:17PM

Daniel, If you use a flame, always hold in front or behind the wrap, not underneath or you are just asking for soot contamination You really don't want flame in contact with the wrap.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 04:32PM

I use a butane torch works great. If you are using a alcohol lamp and get soot. Your wick is too long.
When using a Butane torch I use a blue flame. The distance for the flam and rod is determined by using my hand. I place my hand in front of the flame, when I feel the heat without burning my self that is the distance I keep the flame from the rod. Never let the flame stay in one spot, keep the flame moving.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster