I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chirping guides
Posted by: Bill Foster (---.229.192.117.Dial1.Detroit1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:18PM

I have been scratching my head and getting frustrated that I can not figure out why my guides on a 9 ft. 8 wt. SCII are making a chirping noise. When the rod is flexed or just shook it makes this noise. I did everything the same as all my rods that I have built but this one for some reason is doing this. With all my rods I use low temp hot melt glue to put my guides on. I slide them into place and press hard to push all the excess glue to the sides. Then I remove the excess with my thumbnail. That rod however seems to be different and the only thing that was different in building this rod were the guides. They were gold plated Pac Bay guides. I forgot to mention that I always use Flex Coat Lite on all my rods also. If anyone could give me some insight on this, I would be grateful. Also if you have had this happen to you please let me know. I just don't know what I did wrong if anything, and I do not want this to happen again. Thanks for your help.

Bill Foster

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chirping guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:30PM

This sort of thing happens every now and again. If the naked blank did not make this noise (and some do because of paint or other debris on the inside), then the guides are the culprit. But not the guides themselves, actually. What happens is that epoxy finish will sometimes get around a leg or post and then detach. The leg or post moving within that little sleeve of epoxy will cause a squeak or chirp as you noted. Usually it goes away with some use or some very deep flexing. It should not be cause for alarm.

Posted by: Bill Foster (---.229.192.117.Dial1.Detroit1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 03:03PM

Ok thanks...at least I feel a little better now. Do you think it would still make noise if I removed the guides redo them? I know that the rod didn't make any noise before I put the guides on. The reason I am thinking of redoing the rod is it might not sell if I makes noise.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 03:09PM

use it as a marketing tool tell people its got a built in "fish caller" theyll flock to you for em

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2006 04:45PM

Try to determine which guide/s are the culprit and only remove those. Also, sometimes you can trim the epoxy on the guide leg with an Xacto knife and take care of the problem without resorting to removing and rewrapping them.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 04:53PM

One of the benefits of being an elderly one time heavy equipment operater is that is that I don't hear guides chirp so my rods never seem to have that problem.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster