I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy build up as a foregrip
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 11:09PM

I've seen pic's in the photo section of fly rods with epoxy tapered from the blank up to the reel seat or fore grip, to make a smooth transition. I tried this with less than impressive results .Where can I go to learn about this technique. This Forum is a wealth of information. Thanks in advance
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy build up as a foregrip
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 12:36AM

I've done several and have a few pic's of them on my site under the "Rod Building" area. Copy/paste this url in your browser:

[duanerichards.proboards23.com]

It's really easy to do:

Put on one coat of epoxy to seal the reel seat ends, let dry. After sealing the ends mix up your thread epoxy and put the rod on the dryer turning and LEVEL. Add the epoxy to each end and build the ramps up as much as you can (it will drip off, once it drips stop adding). Now the waiting game.....keep a check on your epoxy, and as soon as it thickens up nicely, but hasen't gone so far that it won't level out, add the center of the ramp with the thickened epoxy. You want the epoxy to be thick at this point and just add it to the center of the ramps and watch it level out and help it along in doing so. Once you get the ramps the height you want you're done. Let the rod spin until the epoxy is totally dry.

Its really easy. Try it once on a junk blank and you'll get the idea of how it works and that will help you do the 1st rod well.

DR

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 01:01AM

Ken,
I just did one (sort of) on a split grip bass rod. But, what I did was build a very small taper from two corkrings that I wrapped with black thread. I slowly built up the finish (about 5-6 light coats) to make the transition from the reel seat to the blank incorporating a hook keeper. Email me if interested and I'll send you a pic. Randy.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 09:44AM

Ken,

Here's what I usually do - Put my rod in the dryer (or turn by hand) and put a gob of 5 min epoxy where the blank joins the seat. Raise the tip a little to get the ramp angle that you want. The turning of the rod will give you a nice smooth ramp right to the edge of the seat. Just wrap right up the ramp and when you get to the top, just put a small dab of Super glue to hold the tag in pace and tape the end out of the way. Put finish on and when it's dry, trim off the loose end flush. Makes a nice looking transition.

You can also just add some pigment into the epoxy to get the color you want and skip the thread and jusst put a hook keeper wrap where it meets the blank, to hide the transaction. I saw Ralph Oquinn do it with Rod Bond in Charlotteusing his finger to shape it. Worked perfect for him but,. as much as I love Rod Bond, I can never get it smooth or concentric unless I use 5 min epoxy

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster