I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reversed reel seats on GLoomis spinning rods?
Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 09:46PM

Looking thru the BPS catalog at the GLoomis rods they comment about reversed reel seets on the spinning rods. Why do they do this? By reversed Im assuming they mean the hood nut would be nearer the butt than the fore grip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reversed reel seats on GLoomis spinning rods?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.82.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 10:12PM

I like the spin reel seats with the threads up going toward the tip. This way the hand does not lay on the threads and feels more comfortable.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 10:25PM

I don't know why they would call that "reverse". I don't think that there is a "right" way. Different companies point them different ways. I would put them on whichever way is most comfortable to me (or the user). I prefer the threads to the rear, but that's just me.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 10:35PM

My Loomis rods have always had the hooded nut towards the butt on the graphite reelseats and towards the tip on the rod with the Wiebe style reelseats except for the dropshot rods that reverse the Wiebe seat. Is there something different now? Some of my rods are over 20 years old, and the last I looked at the store they are pretty much unchanged.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:16PM

While I agree with Bill personally, I also believe the "right" way is the way "you" (anyone) prefer your reelseat on your rod. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:47PM

I often swap ends on a reel seat, I even cut down the threaded end so the reel just fits into the seat, you have to seat one end of the reel foot all the way into the hood to get enough distance to incert the other. What is gainedin this orientation? Gained.... another 1/2" inch of busniess end to cast and fight a fish with. Saved? trimming saved some weight and gained even more busniess end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster