I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod Tip
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:18PM

Well, it was fun while it lasted...

I'd built a few rods before, but my big project this winter was to build my first fly rod. Since most of my fishing is in the Jersey surf, I wanted a relatively stout outfit to go after striped bass. Because one of my pet peeves is how expesive heavier-duty saltwater fly outfits are, I wanted to use the rudimentary rod-building skills I had picked up to try to get into the game on the cheap.

I settled on a close-out 10-11 wt Cascade blank from Mudhole. I ordered the blank and the components, did static distribution and casting tests, figured out the guide spacing I wanted, and put everything together. Last night I finally finished wrapping the guides and finished them. I woke up eager to give the new fish-killing machine a tryout.

After a few casts in the backyard, I noticed that for some reason the fly line was getting hung up on the blank between the tip top and the topmost guide. This was strange, as it had never happened during test casting. I pulled the rod tip down to have a look at it, put the tip in my hand, and watched in horror as the tip broke clean off.

I called the dealer (it was Mudhole, and since they're a sponsor here I can say that their customer service was excellent). Fortunately, the blank is still under warranty; unfortunately, because it was a closeout, they don't have any more left in stock. It will not be possible to replace the blank.

Now I have to figure out what to do next. Mudhole isn't going to want the blank back, so I can take the credit they're going to give me and use it for another rod (I've been thinking about building a new plugging rod). Or I can use the credit to get another fly blank, but I figure that doing that would be the same as starting all over.

So I'm turning to the friendly rodbuilders here, who have much more experience than me. Here are my questions:

1) Can the rod be repaired, and a new tip installed? If so, is it worth doing it? Will the rod be ruined? If I fix it, will it be useable?

2) Is there a way to start over with a new blank without having to start from scratch? Will I be able to reuse the reel seat and the cork grip?

Basically, I'm looking to see what more experienced builders would do in this situation. Any help and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way, the rod is a 9' foot two-piece blank, and only about an inch or so broke off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod Tip
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:23PM

Get a new tip top and call it good.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:44PM

An inch will make some difference, but not too much, and I think the best thing you can do right now is what Todd has suggested - install a new tip top and give it a try.

By the way, how did you install the current tip top? Hot melt glue or epoxy? I have a reason for asking but I'll wait for your response.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:47PM

Thanks for the reposnses. Tom -- I used five minute epoxy. I thought that it might have been that, too, but it's the same stuff I've used on other rods without a problem (it's even from the same batch). And the fact that it broke below where the epoxy was applied -- it's about an inch and a half from the top, and an inch from the bottom of the tip-top thread wrap - made me think the epoxy wasn't it. Though I guess I could be wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2006 04:59PM by Chris Garrity.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 10:38PM

Like they said above,

Glue a new tip top on it and forget it ever happened.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster