I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat insert material - ideas needed
Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 08:12AM

Fellow rodbuilders,

I'm stuck with a problem of material choise in one of my current rod projects. I'd like to use U-22 reel seat from struble for this rod and would like to install it to CTS Revo blank. The problem is that outer diameter of the blank is quite big (around 13,5mm) and inside diameter of U-22 is around 16,5mm if I remember right.

Anyway the problem is that walls of insert will become very thin and it makes it unpossible to use wood at this case. I thought maybe I could use polyester bar for making insert. Does anyone have any experince of this. Tom did make something like that at top of one of his handles some time ago. Color of this polyester bar should match blank and wrap colors (blue/white)...

Example of this material can be seen here [www.brisa.fi]
There mother of pearl and ice blue looks very nice...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Antti

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat insert material - ideas needed
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2006 08:44AM

There are a lot of things you can do here. You can certainly bore a wood or plastic insert that thin - you just need to be accurate. Or, you can do something directly on the blank and mount the skeleton seat parts on either side of it. A thread wrap, marbling, feather inlay, etc.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.179.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 09:06AM

Antti,
I believe you own a set of my mandrels right? You can mount the insert on the mandrel and turn the walls "paper thin" without incident. I have done this many times on a particular brand of blank that had notoriously large butt sections (1/2" o.d. on a 5wt.). The average builder had a hard time finding a factory seat for a 5wt. with a bore that large.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: February 20, 2006 02:01PM

Antti,
I've used acrylic inserts that Dave Winslow of Winslow Rods makes and sells on @#$%&. You could drill these out to fit fairly large diamater blanks. I used one on a six weight. Do a web search for Dave Winslow rods and you can contact him and ask him about the inserts he makes.

Joe

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.dhcp.inet.fi)
Date: February 20, 2006 02:30PM

Indeed options are there, to choose one is a bit harder...

Tom,
Maybe I need to try to bore one seet I have turned and see if I'm able to do it without breaking it...

Andy,
Yes I do have your mandrels and they work fine, but largest i have is diameter of 10mm and I need to make bore to this one equal to 13,5mm. After the drilling is done, how I could attach wood block to mandrel? By the way, Your DVD has been a great help and I REALLY love working with my lathe :)

Joe,
I sent email to Dave, well se what he suggest....

Posted by: Scott Olex (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 03:10PM

Turn your insert on your 10 mm mandrel. Slip your turned insert on your next smallest mandrel it will spin freely. Mount your mandrel in you your lathe then with 1 piece of masking tape wind some 220grit sandpaper using the rotational direction of your lathe to tighten the sand paper to the mandrel. It will flap around as the mandrel spins with the insert flopping around the mandrel loosely. Now you can tighten the sandpaper up wiuth a touch and slide the reel seat onto the sand paper. Just let the insert slip in your hand from time to time while sanding the inside of the insert. A bit of paying attention is needed to keep everything centered. After a bit jump up the 10mm insert sanding in the same manner. Before you know it you will have the insert bored out to 13 mm and with a bit of care it will be centered just fine. A bit of a hastle but it's a lot easier then doing it by hand. You can also reverse chuck a round file but you can't get as thin as with sand paper.

I hope that wasn't too confusing, if it was and you want to give it a try just email.

Scott

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 20, 2006 03:36PM

Antti - when I've had a similiar problem I've turned cork shims for the mandrel. I bore cheap rings so that they fit tight on the mandrel (in your case a little less than 10mm), firmly place them on the mandrel and then turn their OD down to the ID bored turning stock (13.5). I mount the turning stock on the shims and turn down to size. I've been able to get them pretty thin - and a couple of times too thin :) I've found that my success is directly proportional to keeping my skew chisels sharp. btw, I've had a lot better "luck" with tight straight grain wood. Burl is a real pain for me, but that is primarily a function of my turning skills.

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.dhcp.inet.fi)
Date: February 21, 2006 12:59AM

Thanks, will try these soon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster