I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split seat slipped.Help
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 09:42AM

Built a rod for a friend of mine ,split grip ,split seat est. marked everything , mocked up the reel and glued everything to my marks . This morning I went to the shop and the rod's finish looked great .Checked everything and everything looked good .Grabbed the Curado to mount and found that the seat had slipped up the rod just far enough that all that is holding the reel to the seat is 1/8th inch when fully tightened down. I’m afraid any sideways strain on the reel will unseat the reel. Is there anything I can do short of removing the top half of the reel seat and reposition it?
I rally hate to start cobbling around on this rod.
Thanks and help
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split seat slipped.Help
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2006 11:50AM

I don't know what type seat you used. On some, the moveable locking hood and nut have a small tang that keeps the hood aligned. It also prevents the hood from coming back as far as it might otherwise. Take it off and look and see if you have that small tang or key in there. If you do, shave it off and I think your hood will now move down far enough to secure the reel foot.

Re: split seat slipped.Help
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 19, 2006 12:00PM

Ken, if you are saying that only about 1/8 of an inch of the toe of the reel foot is reaching inside and under the reel HOOD on ONE of the hoods (the screw-down hood), then you have trouble. Yes, it is not your imagination.

BUT DO NOT PANIC - The EASIEST THING to investigate is if you can BORROW space from the OTHER HOOD, the FIXED-HOOD, and move the reel foot's TOE OUT a BIT. You can jam some SOFT (polyethylene?) plastic from a supple sandwich bag into the toe-section of the FIXED-HOOD and that will force the reel foot OUT and toward the MOVEABLE reel hood. ... Try to do this in such a way that you CENTER the reel foot between the ranges of the two hoods. ... Most reel toes do NOT absolutely need to be entirely buried in the hood to have sufficient coverage to be securely held in place while fishing. BUT having one foot nearly falling out of the hood will almost certainly be an accident waiting to happen. … A soft plastic is a good choice, because it is conformable to the shape of the reel foot and hood; will not absorb water (but may hold some water if not packed in tightly enough); and it is very easy to pick out with a some hemostats and replace if it ever gets nasty or becomes so compacted that the reel is loose again.

RBO was down again, so I had to e-mail you directly, Ken. If I am misunderstanding your problem, and you still need help later tonight, I’ll be home again around 8pm. … Gotta run, buddy. Take Care, Ken.
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster