I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loooong time between epoxy coats - problem?
Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 10:09PM

my standard method of inscription is to first place a very light coat of epoxy over the inscription area, cure for 1 day, then write my inscription, then re-coat with epoxy.

I have 2 rods that received the first coat of epoxy over 1 year ago (Duragloss) but I never inscribed them. I want to inscribe them now. Will there be a problem if I apply a second coat of epoxy over the first after 1+ year of cure?

this is a low-stress area, strength not an issue, but the directions state to recoat within a few days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loooong time between epoxy coats - problem?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2006 10:13PM

What you'll have to do is prepare a water-break-free surface by thoroughly scouring the previous coat of epoxy with a grey Scotchbrite pad. Clean the area, scour with the pad and apply the inscription and then seal and finish as usual. Do not wipe the area with a solvent after you have scoured it with the Scotchbrite pad.

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 10:18PM

Tom, thanks. This could be a problem because I bordered the area with trim wraps. The first epoxy coat is so thin that the threads show through prominently. Scouring will cause them to fuzz-out. Sounds like I might have to start anew?

Date: February 18, 2006 10:22PM

Not really, just go a bit lighter over the trim wrap area. What you want to do it de-gloss the previous finish coat. You want to scour it pretty well, but you don't really have to remove any material. Grey Scotchbrite is pretty fine stuff, I don't think you'll raise any fuzz in those trim wrap areas.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 12:11AM

I've waited weeks between coats when puttings weaves in the middle of butt wraps and never noticed a problem with the finish without doing anything to the previous coat. Am I missing somthing here??

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 04:13AM

Jim
There is a world of difference between WEEKS and a year. Technically you should buff with Scotchbrite #7448 grey If the coating is more than a week or two old. This will insure you of good adhesion. The question remains how good is necessary to be good enough. After a year you will most defininately have very poor, if any adhesion at all, and buffing is absolutely necessary. After a few weeks, you would have better adhesion if you buffed it, but you will have probably satisfactory adhesion if you don't.
Ralph

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 08:13AM

Is Scotchbrite #7448 something I would purchase in a place like Home Depot?

Would this "buffing" show through the decal after a top coat of finish is put on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 08:14AM by Ralph Tomaccio.

Date: February 19, 2006 08:51AM

No, the fine Scotchbrite won't leave deep scratches or anything that would show through another coat of finish. You buy it from Lamar or at many auto body shop/paint supply stores. Most Home Depots will sell the burgandy and green. The green (3M) is okay, just a tad bit more aggressive than the grey. But not at all bad and will do in a pinch.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 10:50AM

Tom, having sanded wraps and recoated with finish, it is amazing that no scratches appear. The area I would be concerned with is that area under the decal that has been sanded with Scotchbrite on which no finish would be directly applied because the decal would be on top of it. You're saying that area will blend in perfectly with the surrounding area as well?

Date: February 19, 2006 11:34AM

Scotchbrite doesn't really leave much in the way of scratches, at least not to the naked eye. For out purposes, it simply deglosses the surface.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 02:09PM

Ralph T.
There's a small amount of adhesive on the back of that decal that will provide the 'shine' under the decal when you apply it over a gray Scotchbrited surface.

That said, I still like to do this with a WELL-USED piece of gray Scotchbrite just to ensure that the scratches are shallower yet that the decal adhesive doesn't fill. Just made more sense to me at the time I did it and it has worked well for me so far.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 04:09PM

I'd use 1500 grit wet sandpaper on the area WITHOUT the wrappings and never touch the wrappings with anything other than the next coat of epoxy. Here's why: the wraps are still showing through, this means he ALREADY HAS a rough surface for the new epoxy to grab onto-the wraps themselves.

On this re-coat thing.......we don't sand our rod blanks UNDER the guide wrappings do we? That surface is surely not water break free...why then does he really have the need to scrub these wrappings that are already water break free with anything?

I say 1500 the smooth epoxy area and never touch the wrappings-recoat and stop worrying :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster