I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra Fine Glitter
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.kingtx.interconnect.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 09:36PM

I purchased some ultra fine glitter at one of the Craft Stores in Corpus Christi. I tested it with 2 part epoxy mix on a piece of flat wood. Would it be best if I tested it on a piece of round wood and rotate it in the dryer mode at 11rpms in order to see if it floats to the surface? I did not put enough glitter with the epoxy on the test piece of wood. It came out smooth on the surface, But I really need to add alot more glitter in order for it show stand out and be eye catching. Would anyone know the maximum ratio of glitter part wise that I can add without having any bumps or pieces of glitter coming to the surface.
Thank you,
Capt. Marvin Engel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra Fine Glitter
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.40.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 10:12PM

I have played around with this. I just added it until it looked like I had enough. The glitter did not protrude out of the epoxy leaving me a smooth finish.

David Banaka

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 10:20PM

I use this glitter in tying some bass and saltwater patterns. It will not protrude and the finish will be smooth, however, it thickens the epoxy considerably and shortens the working time. If you want to use it on wraps, then I suggest you plan on several small batches of epoxy to complete the rod. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jim Smith

Date: February 17, 2006 10:29PM

Jim,
I did not think about it thicking up the epoxy. I will mix up just enough to work with. I have 3 rods that some clients would like blue glitter on. I just did not want to mess up and wind up having to remove a mess and start over.

Thank you,
Capt. Marvin Engel
Big M's Fishing Charters

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 10:38PM

Marvin,

If it's the Ultra Fine almost like a powder, It's great stuff but use it sparingly! A little goes a long way. I use a toothpick to drop it into the epoxy while I'm mixing it. It won't float or protrude. It gives a nice touch.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 17, 2006 10:46PM

Hello Mike,
It is the ultra fine glitter. If I put too much will most of the glitter not sparkle and take away from the glitter that does position properly and sparkle?
Marvin

Date: February 17, 2006 11:54PM

If you put too much, It will sparkle so much that it may take away from the wrap underneath and you may not like it! Do a test stick and put some with a tiny bit, then a strip with a little more, etc. The amount of glitter is really a matter of preference. Some like a lot, but I like a little, so that when the light hits it, it's iridescent.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 18, 2006 12:19AM

Sounds good Mike. I will try a test strip starting with a little glitter up to alot. I definitely do not want to take away from the wrap.
Thanks for the information.
Marvin

Date: February 18, 2006 12:37AM

Hey, anytime Marvin!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:12AM

When using glitter, what you well notice is inside you well not see much sparkle, but out side in the sun light it well sparkle like crazy. So use sparinly
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: martin westbeek (---.speed.planet.nl)
Date: February 18, 2006 05:17AM

This got me thinking - would it be possible to get some glitter on to the wrapping thread for a three wrap trim?

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 08:37AM

Try this. Apply first finish coat, then sprinkle with glitter. Let it set up, then add a second layer of finsh to seal it all. Should work fine with the fine powdered stuff.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:41PM

I find that if I put a clear finish coat on first. Then wait about two minutes then put a second coat of new finish mixed with glitter on. By doing it this way the finish well lay flatter and be smoother. If the finish seams to football, wick off all the excess finish with a dry brush. The glitter has a tendency settle to its lowest place the first coat well allow the glitter to flow more freely without globing up on threads in one place. When the finish has cured the glitter well appear to be trapped between the thread and top layer of finish. To me it looks like a million stares at night when the sun hit the glitter. This is a trial and error thing. I would practice on some sample wraps first
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.hrbgpa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 09:13AM

Be careful when using the fine glitter. Just use a small amount and put it in your finish. I wouldn't sprinkle it on the wraps as it is very fine and will float all over the place and is hard to get it spread evenly over the wrap. I tried the sprinkle method many years ago on my first attempt to use glitter. After that mess I didn't try it again.
Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster