I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

butt cap question revised
Posted by: rob leef (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:26PM

Okay Here's the cap I have a question about. It's not snug at all, So all i do is epoxy it in there? It's very short, and there just doesn't seem like much metal to epoxy too. I just don't want to screw up the first rod I'm building for myself. I've done about 10 up to this point, but they've all been spinning rods. This is the first fly reel seat. Thanks for any help in advance. I got a couple answers on my previous post, but I added a picture so I'm sure we're all on the same page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 05:31PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: butt cap question revised
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:35PM

Rob -

Rough up the surfaces to be bonded. apply epoxy adhesive and clamp it together until it's dry. Rod Bond would be the best to use if you have it.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2006 05:07PM

I wouldn't rough them up exactly - smooth surfaces bond better than rough surfaces. But, you do want to clean them first, then degloss them with Scotchbrite. Then adhere. I am aware it is a short piece, probably no more than 1/8th inch shoulder, but that's what you have to work with so go ahead with it. I would also suggest RodBond for the adhesive.

Posted by: rob leef (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 05:43PM

got it, thanks! who took my picture out?

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.88.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 05:48PM

I've read both of your posts and you seem quite concerned. If you REALLY don't want to glue on that end cap, why not toss the cap and think of something else. Try filling the rod blank end with rodbond and make a smooth, flat bottom with a shallow depression, then, when dry, use whiteout correction fluid to paint the whole inside. Go to a fly shop and buy a fly or better yet, a streamer small enough to fit in the painted depression (streamers lay nice and flat). A tiny dot of glue can hold the fly to the bottom and you can seal it up, even with the reel seat skeleton end, with 5 minute epoxy. I did this once and it looked tremendous, only problem was, I didn't use exoxy, I used flexcoat which has yellowed over time. It still looks good, just not clear...the fly looks like a fossil bug caught in amber.

Just a thought,

Tim

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:13PM

Tim has given you some great ideas. You could also make your own end cap from wood or cork, and while you're at it just put a longer shoulder on there, or attach them to the blank with a counterbore and then slide the reel seat down until it abutts the end cap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster