I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod building, your favorite part
Posted by: Tom Nair (206.163.1.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 01:39PM

I thought I would enjoy reading what others feel is there favorite part of the building process. Well, I will start out by saying that I enjoy designing the rod the most. Looking through all the catalogs and web sites and finding the componets and sizes that I will need. Going to the mailbox everyday and opening the packages and seeing what I have chosen and fitting the parts together to see how it will look. I just get a real kick doing it. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building, your favorite part
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 01:51PM

Tom- I have several favorite parts. 1: Doing thread inlays- now that I've learned how, they make me look a lot more competent than I really am. 2: Checking my epoxy and NOT seeing a bubble. 3: Doing guide wraps- once I get one right to my satisfaction, I get a great sense of satisfaction. 4: Looking at my epoxy and NOT seeing Golden Retriever hair. 5: Presenting the completed rod to its intended recipient.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:04PM

catching fish on them!

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:07PM

I'm with you Tom, the designing and than the fishing is my favorite. The rest is kind of going through the motions unless I'm trying something different, or using new materials.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:11PM

I'm back!!! Well its been about a year since I last worked on any rods they all stopped after I finnishedthe Handle assembly. It is kinda funny you asked this question becasue I really hate doing any thread work and finnish work. I'm terrible at it and my space is too dusty to get a show quality finnish. I can make a incredible rod look like garbage with my terrible thread work and lumpy finnish. Anyone want to wrap and finnish for me? So I like the design I love getting packages,i love turning wood handles. I hate finnishing.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:13PM

Aside from fishing with them, it would have to be turning the handles. Lathes are cool.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:23PM

Has to be the design and grip/seat design/building!!!
Hey Travis! Welcome back! Where ya been??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:29PM

Well mike I had some major turns in my life and rod building just wasnt a priority. Things are kinda back to normal now other than I very single. I've had these rods that were probably my best work yet sitting there for a year. I just put the last coat of finnish on one and its terrible and I realized how much I dilike finnishing and how bad I am at it. But I have some plans for more rods of my own coming soon that is a bit outa the norm I just have to figure out how I going to do it. Hint!! carbon fiber and not premade tubes. It will be awhile I have to get the rods out so I can get ordering. Did I miss anything while I was gone

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.rpsa.ricoh.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:30PM

Working on the lathe in the evening. It is relaxing and very satisfying watching a block of wood come to life using lathe tools and sandpaper.

The next favorite thing about building a rod is casting it in the backyard and seeing what reels and lines feel/cast the best with the rod.

Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:36PM

I like all of it, but i would have to say i enjoy the company it brings. I have met a rod builder, and he knows who he is, that has given his undivided attention to my wife and I to show us the ways of rod building. He not only showed me he gave my wife and i both an ultralight rod to build. My wife and I have helped this person with Big Brothers & Big Sisters and what a great time it has been. It's to bad more people dont get the same oppourtnity as I have had.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:43PM

No question for me...the first cast with a new rod that you've worked several (dozens?) of hours on. Even if it's for a customer, those first 'live' wiggles always bring a smile to my face. The first fish is a distant second, and that's more hoping that some strange structural defect doesn't manifest itself with a 33" winter steelie on the end.

As far as the building process, I enjoy lathe work a lot (reelseats are still 'new' to me) and I don't mind wrapping either. I absolutely HATE finishing. I have a unique talent for finding new and exciting ways to screw up my finishes. Got a big ol' fisheye last night over a decal. God knows where it came from...but it's there! Luckily that was for a demo rod that doesn't have a 'due date'.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:51PM

Thinking about the next one while driving.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:54PM

My favorite part is seeing the thread wraps turn to jewels when epoxy is applied. I also like the first encounter with the blank, thinking about the possibilities and subsequent pleasures that will be the finished product.

Jim

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 02:55PM

its got to be the look on the customers face when you give their prized rod back after rebuilding it watching them examine it closely then stating it looks better than when it was new especially if it has sentimental value on it too ( sorta brings that warm feeling to your stomach and the tears sorta well up )

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)

I enjoy most all of the assembly if not hurried. I like to turn grips and reel seats and fit them to the rod perhaps a bit more than other anything else but I like grinding and finishing guide feet as well.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: James M. Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)

Turning wood grips and reel seat inserts.

James

Posted by: Art Jessup (---.wasilla.mtaonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 03:00PM

Catching fish on it.. I fished with my first rod(9 wt fly) I built last year. I caught Kings, silver salmon, Steel head, dolly varden & rainbows on it. Second best part is this website... There isn't to many rod builders here is Alaska. Find info about building rods would have been hard here... This site has helped me out a lot......

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 03:17PM

I don't think there is a part of the process I don't enjoy thoroughly. From picking the out components, to putting on the final finish, then making the first cast with and finding that it all came together like I expected. It is all a thrill.
Murf

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:12PM

Putting the cash in my pocket!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 04:13PM

I like it all - have even come to enjoy grinding guides. I guess that turning reel seats and building grips is near the top for now.
I'll like everything more if I ever get better at it.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 04:19PM by Stan Gregory.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster