I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: out wrapping
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.bta.net.cn)
Date: February 18, 2006 07:16AM

OK Bill,

Here we go,

Total t/o's for one dbl foot guide, 7 sf guides, trim band and tip top wrap...........22

$3.74

We do the guide prep and alignment.

We have a few out wrappers that come in 2 times a week and will take 50 each time. So 100 rods per week...........$374.00

Most of our rods are steelhead & salmon rods and I believe the guides run from 9 to 15 on the concept rods. Then it would depend upon the series as to whether they have trim bands or inlays or not.

I know this must seem like a ton of work but you would have to see these people work. Their hourly rate should exceed our in house which averages around $13.00 per hour.

Most out wrappers do not use tension devices, they are using direct drive 1/8 hp sewing machine motors and using their fingers to control the tension.
This and the finishing are what amaze most builders that tour the plant. At times it is difficult to tell what their fingers are doing....

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.bta.net.cn)
Date: February 18, 2006 07:24AM

Also just as a reference Bill, our in house wrappers do over 25 rods per day in 7.5 hour shift. \

And the out wrappers are private contractors and are required to have a business license and receive a 10-99 each year.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2006 07:28AM by Todd Vivian.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 03:26PM

Bill your comment to me, sounds like it was meant for a 3rd world country. Do not kid your self. The US out wrappers are professionals in their field. If it were not for this thread, how many out there knew about outcropping. In the states The out wrappers in the US have a reputation and skills that they are proud of and up hold. They have to meet the company standards that they contract with. Remember this! The out wrapper community is small and if you get the reputation of shoddy workmanship you well be history in no time at all. The main different’s between a out wrapper and one who works in a manufacturing plant is that they are their own quality control and if they make a mistake they correct it now without some supervisor telling them their work is not acceptable
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 18, 2006 03:39PM

Sorry Emory That was ment to say out wrpping ! Not out cropping
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.133.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 06:21PM

Bob

Thanks for the kind words about my profession. I've just got back to this thread and the interest in outwrapping amazes me. Some have wondered how I can sit for hours and wrap rods, my answer is I couldn't sit for hours doing their job, I just like wrapping rods. At the end of a day wrapping I can look at what I've done and feel good about helping build a quality product. I know some of you get burned out wrapping and maybe someday I will, but I've been doing this for about seventeen years and I'm not slowing down yet. I have a good idea of how long it's going to take me to do my work for the day and plan breaks accordingly. Today I started out at four in the morning with forty rods to do for the day. On these rods I work at five rods per hour with nineteen tie offs on each rod at $0.18 per tie off that comes out to $17.10 per hour. I took eleven hours to do the work eight hours work three hours break. If I have eight hours of work for the day I decide which eight hours I work. I don't always have rods that go so fast so most of the time I make closer to $14.00 per hour, but still good for sitting home watching tv and doing something I like.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Re: out wrapping for Thomas F. Thornhill
Date: February 19, 2006 03:42PM

Thomas: As you can see most of those who commented on this thread believed it was done offshore and your pay was vary low. As you expressed your speed and talent makes for a good pay check. Let me express my appreciation to you and the other talented folks in your profession. What you guys are, are a group of sub contractors that are vary talented. I hope to meet you at the Woodland in April? This is for Emory! Was all my nouns, adjectives and spelling correct?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 04:17PM

Bob, Nope!!!!! Just think, Emory probably only knows one way of spelling a word, You should consider yourself talented as you have a real skill for "creative" english!!!!!

Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 04:21PM by Mike Barkley.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster