I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning guides turned backwards
Posted by: Larry Seibert (---.178.112.79.dynamic.dejazzd.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:59PM

My friends and I have been building some rods. My one friend just finished building a spinning rod and I noticed he placed all of his guides with the feet facing the tip of the rod. I have never seen a rod like this but he hates to rewrap everything if he doesn't have to. I thought perhaps someone on this forum would know if other than looking strange it will hurt the rod to leave the guides with the feet facing the tip of the rod. Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning guides turned backwards
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:09PM

Shouldn't hurt a thing that I can think of. Don't think I'd want to try to take it out of a rod locker. Some of the Japanese in country factory rods have the first guide put on that way.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:30PM

The line is concerned with the ring, not the feet or legs of the guide. It won't matter. The only possible thing I can think off that might be even slightly detrimental, is that near the tip by having the guide reversed, he's actually putting that weight a little bit further out on the tip area, which means the rod will be slightly less efficient than if that weight was just a little bit farther back. But overall I don't think in this case it's going to make a great deal of difference.

Posted by: larry seibert (---.178.112.79.dynamic.dejazzd.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:44PM

Thanks for the input. My buddy will be happy to know he doesn't need to rewrap anything.

Posted by: larry seibert (---.178.112.79.dynamic.dejazzd.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:46PM

Thank you. I feel good about having several opinions to share with my friend and I know he will be delighted to not rewrap the guides.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 10:11PM

He just needs to make sure that he tells everyone that after much research/experimentation and test casting, he has come up with a dynamic new concept and if he catches a lunker, he will have everyone building them like that!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 11:02PM

I have a couple surf spinning rods that I purposely put the first three guides "backwards", and the top guides "forwards". It doesn't make a difference to me. Youre friend will have to field a ton of questions though..... Why are they backwards???

Suggested responses:

- "... I thought it didn't look right, want to buy it?"
- " Actually, the guides are fine, the handles on the wrong end"
- " its custom built for righty's"
- "you wouldn't beleive how well it casts"
- " the guides didn't come with directions"
- " its the Inversionation Method Theory...IMT "

Posted by: larry seibert (---.178.120.194.dynamic.dejazzd.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:51AM

Thanks guys. My friend will have some fun with those responses. Have a great day.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:12AM

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
the response has got to be
@#$%& are you on about (examine there rod closly) then emphaticly state you have been building rods for more years than you care to remember tut very loudly look skywards rolling the eyes and that its HIS rod that is wrong and that he shouldnt buy cheap taiwany imports look at the make of the rod then very authoritivly tell him his rod was made in the back streets of taiwan probably a plastic composite NOT what it is stated of being made of mass produced for the market and that they dont know how to build rods cos they get the kids to do it offer to prove it to them ..... snap the tip off and offer it back telling him to examine the fibres closly and that it was a good job you were there as his was probably dangerous..........

offer to build him a new one (backwards) at an extortionate price watch em start to think

Posted by: Sing-Choong Foo (160.33.20.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:53PM

Actually, for stripping guide on a fly rod, I prefer the guide to be placed that way-- you can haul to the side and the guide feet won't get in the wat. Thomas and Thomas is the only fly rod company that I've noticed to do that for all their rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.109.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:36AM

There was a post here a while ago about a company that had turned the butt guide around on there spin rods, said it added to casting distance ??? yea and the checks in the mail !!??

Tell him it is a _ unique modified stylish setup. Made to keep the balance and sensitivity of the rod. Your unprecedented set up is unmatched and will enhance the sensitivity and performance characteristics of the rod ????!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster