I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
HELPPPPPPP my wifes screwed up BIG
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 10:32AM

My dear wife Bless her (i say with gritted teeth) has decided in her womenly way to help me....... She decided my rod shop was in a "bit of a mess" to quote her. so she gets out broom (niccccccccce) then decides to polish EVERYTHING trouble is as you can guess she used some new muck she got from work (read the can ) its 85% silicone so now all over the threads and wrapper brushes spatulas etc basicly EVERYTHING in the shop is now coated in a lovely slippery shine that i cant seem to shift anyone got any easy ideas (apart from binning it and starting again) on removing silicone i tried panel wipe (no joy ) tried Boiling hot water (no joy) now im stuck (well sliding)

all help welcomed
plus anyone want the wife free just email me an ill send her on
Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 10:34AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELPPPPPPP my wifes screwed up BIG
Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 15, 2006 10:52AM

Allen, I just did a Google search for "removing silicone residue".....lots of interesting stuff there. There are a few spray cleaners (Slide brand degreaser for one) that don't have to be wiped, just spray and it evaporates away along with the residue. I don't know what effect the spray would have on thread, etc, guess you'll have to do a little experimenting.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 10:53AM

The only things I can think of that should get rid of that is lacquer thinner, acetone, maybe alcohol,
OR you can try a auto body supply store that sells paints and see how much a Prep-Sol will cost. This is a pre - wash for cars just before they paint. What ever you use you will have to wash every thing. The bench if she polished it. It may stay with you a while

Try to find out exactly what she used it on !!! Wash it all Open windows and air the place out.

Date: February 15, 2006 10:58AM

if it didnt move she polished it.... if it moved it got covered in overspray

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:06PM

Your a Polygamist?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:20PM

Don't yell at her, she thought she was helping ??

Posted by: Danny Bui (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 01:37PM

CAN YOU POST PICTURE OF WIFE :)JUST KIDDIND GOOD LUCK

Date: February 15, 2006 02:01PM

I will post a pic when the bruising goes down (ONLY JOKING)

wot a poly wotsit????

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:03PM

Allen, maybe a product called goo-be-gone would work. it works well for taking off dried paint, and cleaning up after varnish, it just takes some elbow grease. Secondly another product that I use to clean up my turning lathe, drive wheels, and carriage gears is gun scrubber. In this instance it is hard to use any oil because it collects dust, and the gun scrubber does a fantastic job. It comes in a pressurized can, just be careful of the fumes. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, I would look to acetone. But that is harsh. good luck Galen Briese.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:12PM

Try the 95% Ethanol (De-Natured Alcohol) or 70% IsoPropyl Alcohol (IPA) or 91% IPA is even better. Use plenty of fresh paper towels and some elbow grease. It may take more than one wipe. Avoid soaps which leave a residue. Maybe some spray glass cleaners may work, but be careful that the cleaner does not leave a residue or contain a bleach or ammonia or cast it's own mist (pall) over the rod-room.

Silicone oil on a fabric has to be laundered in hot water, dry cleaned or discarded. Peeling off the outer layers of nylon guide thread from a spool is the only safe thing to do. The sooner the better, before it wicks into the deeper thread layers, and the entire spool is lost. Don't test the thread you want to save by checking with your fingers - your finger oils are as bad as the silicone, if they are sweaty at the time. Use a lintless piece of absorbent paper or tissue. Any kind of streaking on the tissue (the fat test) indicates an oil is present.

Try to calm down. Explain that the rod-room is your sovereign domain and a "hands-off" zone. Otherwise, "Keep Out" and "Do Not Enter". She needs re-training, which is usually easier than starting over again, or being on your own. ... Usually, but not always. Sorry, Allen, it sounds like resentment run amuck. ... Good Luck, chap. -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

On a camping trip with my Son's Boy Scout Troop, my wife thought I was taking too long to unpack the car and set up camp. I wouldn't let her remove anything from the car, because it was all packed in a certain way. Sure enough, while I was setting up something else, she took it upon herself to "get things going." ... When I turned to see what she was doing at the car, she took two steps to hand the cargo box to me, but stumbled on a root and spilled the entire contents of my home-made TACKLE BOX in the SAND. ...

Fortunately for her, and me, and my Son's memory of the whole thing, my 9 year old Son and about a dozen of his Boy Scouts friends were in the immediate area. I managed to behave myself and recover, ... and restore the tackle to cleanliness AFTER I set up camp. But for about 2 hours, I did wonder how deep that nearby lake was, ... Thank God for Restraint, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 02:31PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:26PM

OUCH!! A silicone residue is a hard one to remove, ask any auto paint man. If at all possible I would remove all contents from the room and scrub the room down with TSP and repaint. As for tools (metal) wash down with Acetone. Rod blanks and accessories (guides reelseats and handle grips) wash throughly in warm, soapy/water at least three times using a clean clear rinse solution each time. As for thread throw it out or use lots of C/P on the thread. You well find out that you well get lots of fish eyes in your finish, if you do not use C/P. Disregard the thread suggestion, if your thread has been kept in a closed containers.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.145.110.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:26PM

I know what you are going threw !! My Boys shot bar lube from a chain saw all over my shop. I washed down every thing with the D- alchol then did it again. I trashed the thread that was on the bench. Opened a can of whoop *** on the boys ( Don't do that - She was trying to help!-- Give her a hug and don't say anything!!) Then I went to the hardware store and got a dead bolt lock = no more problems! Oh by the way if you would pick up after your self she would have more time to work in the house not in the shop !! Good luck with it ( It happens just work hard to clean it good and clean up after you are done working and every thing will get back to normal)
Tight Lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:28PM

" I wouldn't let her remove anything from the car, because it was all packed in a certain way."
Cliff, why does this NOT come as a surprise!!!!!!!!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 02:28PM by Mike Barkley.

Date: February 15, 2006 05:01PM

DOUBLE-POST -CMH+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 05:04PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: February 15, 2006 05:02PM

MB: Dx: "A-R, Stage II-III". Par for the course, ... LOL, -CMH+++

Stage IV needs medication, even re-programming.

Stage II-III is just a PITA. Plenty of us fusspots, neat-nicks, clean-freaks or semi-perfectionists running around (even in rod-building), especially among the overly educated or specialty sciences.

IMO, a SANE perfectionist has been so frustrated in his pursuit of perfection that he has abandoned all hope of attaining that elusive condition, and has reverted to a more practical level of operation and standard for satisfaction. Like the LGTM "Looks Good To Me" Method. ...

That's why I am no longer a Stage IV - it's futile. At Stage II-III, you can still get something done while shooting for great results . Some people are a NEGATIVE Stage II-III A-R, and working around them is like operating in a mine field. I spent 7 years working in a biomedical lab with one of them. Everybody else quit because of her* after 2-3 years. *She was the lab supervisor! ... Builds character and gain-time from Purgatory is all I can say, ...

As Ray Adams reminds us:
"Don't let what you cannot do [be perfect or 1000% certain]
interfere with what you can do! [Give it your best shot.]"
-Cliff Hall+++

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 03:36AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: John Astrello (---.2wcm.comporium.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 05:08PM

I'll let my wife step in and see if she can help. She's a chemist, and works with all types of 'things'.

Hi! You have a problem. Silicone and Epoxy are not compatable. You are going to have trouble getting epoxy resin to stick to surfaces that are coated with silicone spray. Depending on the surface that you want to clean, there are several ways to approach this.
1. Discard anything that you can, mixing cups, foam brushes, inexpensive items....
2. For those things that are more expensive, take them outside and away from any flame and rinse them with Acetone.
Acetone can be purchased at the local hardware store paint department, in gallon cans.
Read and observe all the safety instructions on the MSDS. Request a copy from the hardware store.

Prepare three open gallon paint cans (purchased empty). Fill each with acetone, and label the #1. #2 and #3.
Dip and rinse each item in can #1 then, can #2 then can#3.
Allow them to air dry.

Remember, Acetone will remove cork handles from rods, it will dissolve epoxy, if left in it too long.
You will need to do some test runs to determine what might be harmed by this procedure.

It should not hurt wood, it might remove or dull the finish on some items.

A fresh coat of epoxy over "the dull finish after the acetone rinse has dried" should repair epoxy finishes but test it to see on an inexpensive rod.

The acetone cans should be evaporated to dryness in a safe place away from flames and then the cans disposed in the trash.

Acetone is very flammable.

I hope this helps!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 05:26PM

Cliff, Only Stage 4?????? LOL!

Mike

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:58PM

LMAO Billy! After reading the subject line I was going to leave a funny also...until I saw your post...ya beat me too it! I wonder if anyone else got it? LOL

Then again he could just be recognizing her multiple personality disorder?

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 08:01PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:29PM

Im going into my room and close my thread box right now and just spoke to my wife and told her from now on I will clean that room myself because I love her so much and i need to pitch in and help her out a little more. shes very suspicious right now

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:19PM

If you take on a woman, make sure she knows which rooms are hers. The kitchen, the bedroom, the bath, the living room. My study and my shop are MINE. Stay the He11 out.

These rules work very well to insure I remain single, forever undivorced, and have no silicone anywhere on the property.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 09:21PM by Tim Stephens.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster