I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Congrats to Joe Emig!
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: February 15, 2006 10:19AM

Joe's laser scrimshaw work on the cover of the new Rodmake is the neatest thing I have ever seen done on a fishing rod. His artwork is incredible and the process is something I'm going to have to look into. Talk about a custom touch!

Also congrats to Tom on the new Rodmaker layout and format. Looks very progressive and the magagzine just keeps on getting better and better! Anybody who ever wanted to learn how to get a perfectly level finish should get this issue. The article on finishing is the best I've ever read.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Congrats to Joe Emig!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2006 02:56PM

One of the things that I believe has made RodMaker so successful, is that we continue to break new ground with topics and techniques that have never been covered in any other rod building book or publication. There is a ton of general rod building information that will always continue to be expanded and updated, but RodMaker is unparalleled when it comes to new techniques. Joe's article on polyester casting and his latest on laser scrimshaw are two such techniques (Common Cents, grip flocking, photo etching, rod frequency, etc., are just a handful of others we've done). There is always something new around the corner. You just have to keep your eyes open and look for it - you won't find it if you decide that there simply can't be anything new regarding rod building.

The format change is really pretty minor. Just a little different look for our 9th year. With our full size publication and lack of reprints and advertising (I'd take more of that last one if I could get it) RodMaker represents the largest repository of rod building information ever assembled. It truly is an encyclopedia of rod building information with vast amounts of methods, techniques and knowledge that have never been covered anywhere else. And that won't change - the number of articles on my desk detailing totally new techniques and methods for rod builders can easily carry the magazine for several more years. This is truly the golden age of rod building.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 02:58PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 03:43PM

I can't understand why any company even remotely involved with rod building wouldn't be begging you for ad space in Rodmaker!! As effective as I'm sure that sponsorships on the left are, I would imagine that Rodmaker reaches a large number of builders that never visit this site!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 15, 2006 04:37PM

Interesting that you mention that - I know in asking a lot of questions at the National Rod Builders Show last year that even with all the internet marketing I did on this site and others (banner ads mostly) the internet resulted in only about 10% of the show attendance. Direct mail got about 25% and the rest came from RodMaker Magazine. It is the #1 advertising and marketing vehicle in the entire custom rod building craft. By a wide margin. RodMaker is probably the single biggest factor in the huge turnout we have at the show.

Most people who use this site do not take RodMaker. Conversely, most who take RodMaker do not use this site. Two very different markets.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 04:48PM

I have never understood that, as they are two completely different sources for great information!! I can't imagine being interested in rodbuilding and not taking advantage of TWO great resources (plus any other source of info available), this site for quick help/info/current info and the magazine for detailed, cutting edge info!!.
Oh Well, their loss!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster