I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy ?
Posted by: terry l. miller (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: February 14, 2006 06:19PM

I was doing some research on wood stabilizing and found a site that gives a solution for stabilizing wood. I would like to stabilize some for a reel seat. My question is the mixture would be thinned with Xenyl by about 50-75% would the rod building epoxies work for this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy ?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 14, 2006 08:12PM

Is XENYL a brand name of a solvent, or do you mean XYLENE?
Chemicals are a bit like women: if you call her Margie and her name is Martha, you might get a bad reaction. -Cliff Hall+++

Date: February 14, 2006 08:38PM

You were right Cliff I had it spelled wrong. Will this work for thinning the epoxy or will the epoxy separate.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 14, 2006 09:05PM

I've never used (thinned) epoxy to penetrate / impregnate wood inserts for reel seats, so I'll bow out here. I just wanted to make sure your solvent was xylene or not.

Acetone is usually the thinning solvent of choice for epoxy thread finish, but the wood may tolerate the xylene better, or help it take a stain better. I really do NOT know what the right answer is. But those are a couple of things to think about. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2006 09:15PM

Epoxy would make a poor product for wood impregnation. You need something more along the lines of an acrylic product.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 10:02PM

I'm not much of a rodbuilder yet but have thinned epoxies for many years making longbows, recurves and furniture, I can say that a progressive application of devcon epoxy thinned 5 to 1 with acetone works wonderful. (that's 5 parts acetone to one part mixed epoxy) Apply with a lint free rag or disposable brush (and please wear gloves). I always use it as a finish also. Begin with 5 to 1, cure, 5 to 1, cure, 4 to 1, cure... and continue until you get the depth you like. you can go to 3 to 1 but it becomes difficult to keep it even. It will make an incredibly strong, stable and the most weatherproof finish I have ever seen. The first coat of 5 to 1 will penetrate and stablize, just be sure to keep wiping it on, the longer you keep it wet with the mixture the deeper it will penetrate. Once you stop wiping on the first coat, the acetone will quickly evaporate and the epoxy is left in the wood to cure. The 4 to 1 and 3 to 1 is just to build the finish and fill. With very little effort you can get a glass like finish. (you just have to be patient enough to let it cure between coats.

The acetone will thin out the epoxy to the point that it penetrates very well in the wood. It is a pretty common finish for oily exotic woods that won't take normal finishes well, but works great on all woods I have ever tried.

One note of caution... devcon epoxy isn't clear so take that into consideration if you are using light colored wood.

Try it on a scrap of wood, I have yet to meet anyone that didn't like the results.

-keith

Date: February 14, 2006 10:18PM

Thank you very much for the info Keith, the epoxy mixture will be used in a vacuum pot to ensure that the mixture will penetrate the wood properly.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2006 11:00PM

If you have a vacuum pot, I would take a test piece and try it first to determine the best ratio. cut it open after full cure time to see how well it does. You may not need to thin it as much as I do.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:50AM

Hi Terry,

Could you give me the web info on stabilizing wood that you have. I'm wondering if it's a different than the one I have -

[www.northcoastknives.com]

Thanks

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: terry miller (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:49PM

Well Milton I dont actually have a website I've been collecting info from alot of different sources. The main source is from the penturners.org website. There is alot of people that are using plexiglass dissolved in acetone then soak the wood in the mixture and put in a vacuum. Then I ran across a website that was advertising Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer that is used in boat repair for hardening rotten wood. After more research I found another website that broke down the composition of the CPES. Here is a couple of the links.

[www.penturners.org]

[www.epoxyproducts.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster